joe_ferret

Jul 21, 2001
Gerhard,
I have received many questions concerning District Cards. Are they being processed? Are we just being impatient as usual???
The season has already started and no one that I have spoken to has received theirs. Thank you for all that you do!

Jamison Holt
jamisonholt@hotmail.com

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
YEP on both counts!

LOL hey jamison been awhile!

We started the new membership program like three weeks ago, basically its working real well and we are getting cards out! Patty has been going to tuman's 2-3 times a week to help catch up since we were a tad late in gettin the system up an running. I just entered in the system 190 some cards the other nite, patty went over today and got them printed they went in the mail today. I think at this point we have aroudn 700 riders signed up, with maybe 250-300 to go, thats normal for this time of year. The rest of the riders will trickle in as the tracks in their area start to run.

Anyway, "the card is in the mail" seems to be a good saying about now!

thanks

wardy

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Re: YEP on both counts!

Originally posted by wardy
I just entered in the system 190 some cards the other nite, patty went over today and got them printed they went in the mail today.

Got mine on Saturday. The cards look good. Friggin new number, though, but 811 => 810 must mean I'm movin' on up, right?

Wardy, many people going for this new +25 B class? Considering it's an age class and my 250 is in a million pieces, maybe I'll run it at Pistole's on my '79 MX100. I was smokin' Noah on his Polini at your place a couple weeks ago, so I think I'm ready.

James

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
got my card today.:aj: look out d17,#165 will definately make it to the starting gate for at least one moto:confused: btw, jeeze.i know ltm is "south" but they start racing in early feb.:eek:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep - they sure did start racing in Feb! I wrote a few race reports on their Feb races and included some cool photos too at www.midwest-racing.com - check it out! (BTW - we got our district cards early last week) :confused:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
yeh nikki, i saw those,nice. thank god jeremys' got my bike,err, i mean, i wish i had my bike,i woulda been down there.:cool: seriously tho,(what) i'll start out sooner next year with you'n red, but i've still gotta figure out how to NOT dnf,hate to drive 2hrs to dnf a heat:whiner:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
vet series and checking cards

Every year just about I have run the vet series.
Byron , Red Bud, Aztalan and now the addition of Millville.
I have a couple of complaints about the way its being run and I know others agree with me.
First of all there is alot of sand bagging going on in the novice and intermediate classes.
A riders riding the b class etc.
Why cant someone organize this thing so that the district cards are checked
to avoid this crap.
I am speaking for the riders of the b and novice classes not for myself because I ride A.
Also some tracks provide a parade lap and others dont.
The AMA rules state we have a right to a parade lap espeacially after the track has been groomed.
Many of us vet racers take this series serious and the way its being run is inconsistant.
If this thing continues to grow it needs to be run the same at every track.
Check the cards.
I brought this up two years in a row at Aztalan without any response.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Isn't it interesting

Last year after the race here in our district i sent AMA a letter along with 6 individuals that rode "out of class". They were told that one more infraction like this and they give up thier ama card for a year.

Its really something, the most trouble to keep riders from sandbagging is in the 25+ and older classes, "out of class" should really mean "NO CLASS".

Anyway it should tell all the "baggers" out there something when Loretta's drops the B class in 30+ since it was nothing more then a sand bag class any way.
If a rider truley belongs in any Vet B class very cool I have no problem with it. However a rider wanting to trounce the B vet class day in and day out??? what is that? the fastest slower guy? I just can't figure out that thinking.

Ok now for some kind of answer.......those races are AMA, NOT district.
SO District rules do NOT apply, BUT rider classification does! Regardless of what people think if you ride AMA your classification follows you EVERYWHERE! WOn't be to long and it will be directly on your AMA card.......

thats another story

wardy

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
wardys' erudite response
the fastest slower guy?
..sand baggers bite.i went to quite a few races at sfdr last year and you could hear the riders talking about how"that guy aught to be in another class" and it wasn't said with love. i wonder about some one who does that.? not really ,i knew guys like that. L_O_O_S_E_R_S.how many races would be held if only the people who raced were "convinced" they would have a real good chance of winning before hand? 3 people at the gate? so just remember if it were not for guys like me, who race for the thrill and end up last,you'd never end up first.:aj: vive crash,el comendante del toro grande.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
The best way to battle sandbaggers is to attack their self respect. For example, eliminating the 'C' class in harescrambles and renaming it the "Trailrider" class is a step in the right direction. (And possible there, of course, because of the smaller turnouts.) Only someone who truly considers himself a trailrider and not a racer would sign up for that.

Of course, if you go for 250B in harescrambles, that means, as I understand the rules, 250C would be out in MX (no 'B' riders), which may keep a few in with the Trailriders. Still, I have this mental image of the Trailrider start...half a dozen women on XR200s, a few kids on 80s and two or three guys with all the gear, etc., lined up next to them on their 300MXCs.

James

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Re: Isn't it interesting

If a rider truley belongs in any Vet B class very cool I have no problem with it. However a rider wanting to trounce the B vet class day in and day out??? what is that? the fastest slower guy? I just can't figure out that thinking.

Come on, man. They just want to be the Gerhard Ward or Rusty Ott of the B class. What's wrong with that? ;)

James

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I havent checked into it very far but I think Dave Antolak and a few others started the series I am speaking of.
It was called the"dirty old blasters " at first.
I am not sure the AMA has really got involved with this series as far as policing it but I could be wrong.
I know from what alot of the riders are saying that if the classes arent going to be set up properly then they wont go.
I feel the series is in trouble since the turnout last year wasnt that good.
The payout and or awards are pretty crappy.
I guess I will contact Antolak and ask him but still this sand bagging isnt right and needs to be stopped. Maybe all it would take is an effort to contact all the tracks that the races are being held at.

I think it would be a darn good idea to put the rider classification on the AMA card.

Last edited:

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
:think i can remember being there,and i can remember rider qualifications,and what class they rode.be careful

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
rollingp

just exactly what what would a sponsor of an event like that have to gain by chastising riders for what class they ride?

I think the aztalan club in wisconsin would really like to see this post and see that the dirty old blasters series was started by who? OK. I don't know for sure, but i think if you dig deeper you may find a different answer?

davemx have any insight on this one????

Now after AJ and I made a stink about those racers, he was told "its about having fun, it don't really matter" this was pertaining to classes being rode by riders out of class.

evidently it does.

You need to talk to the series tracks invovled and tell them your opinions.

And as far as the classification on the ama card and a national advancement system, its being worked on as we speak. In fact alot of the foundation for that whole process is now be laid.

hmmmmmm wonder who submitted that rule/system proposal to ama congress in 1998,1999, and 2000.........guess that was me. It was passed in 2000, and is a project that is being done now.

wardy

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
oh by the way

james you are exactly right. the thought process is what we have to change no question.

it actually starts in the 50cc class, and I will catch hell for this but think about it. ALL 50 riders get an award on race day. welcome to reality when they hit the 65 class. Now i am guilty of that also at my track. But my opinion on racing at that age is one that shouldn't be asked i guess.
kind of goes along the lines of your MINI dad post on your site! VERY GOOD READING by the way

here is a link for you guys wanting to see it

http://www.midwestmotocross.com/minidad.html
http://www.midwestmotocross.com/0801/minidad.html

then it goes to the factory sponsored B rider at Loretta's. What kind of oxy-moron is that? factory B rider geeeeez. lets not talk about his brother the factory C rider.

wardy

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I will admit that back in 97 I rode the vet B when I probably should have ridden A since I hold an A card.I jumped on the wagon with all the guys I know that were doing the same thing.
That was the only time I did that since and it actually wasnt right.
I asumed Antolak had alot to do with the series by the way he talked at BYRON last year.
He had several obstacles removed from the track I know, and had a say so on how the course was laid out. He made the comment he was going to try to get Millville for 02.
The point is alot of these tracks are a long drive for these guys and the racing should be as fair as possible. There were many riders complaining about the sand bagging last year.
I dont want the series tracks to get all over someone about cheating but how hard can it be to check the cards at sign up?
They have the whole day before the race for those who pre sign and practice. I dont think the promoter should gain anything by checking the cards. Heck you may as well just run an open only class if the cards arent going to be checked maybe by displacement?
I can run a free for all here at home and have in the past.
This is the kind of stuff that sets off out law racing. The awards they give out for the race series is pitiful. Thats a trivial complaint and isnt the real problem or point I am trying to get across and is another matter.
On the sandbagging I am only passing along what I am told and what I have seen myself.
The last two years we have seen the addition of three tracks in this race series and as more tracks are added more racers are going to believe it is a well organized event and will get involved .
The worst enemy of the series is for racers to be disapointed by the structure.

Last edited:

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Re: oh by the way

ALL 50 riders get an award on race day. welcome to reality when they hit the 65 class. Now i am guilty of that also at my track. But my opinion on racing at that age is one that shouldn't be asked i guess.
kind of goes along the lines of your MINI dad post on your site! VERY GOOD READY by the way
then it goes to the factory sponsored B rider at Loretta's. What kind of oxy-moron is that? factory B rider geeeeez. lets not talk about his brother the factory C rider.

It actually starts outside of motocross nowadays. You think MX is bad about not wanting to hurt the kids feelings, check out a kid's soccer or baseball league. We hear you, though, and everything we do in the mini dad columns is to poke fun at ourselves and the real freaks who invade the pastime of living vicariously through their children.

As for the factory C guy, I remember seeing something after last year's Loretta's -- a long caption on a photo in an MX mag or something -- about this C guy and it listed about 10 sponsors and discussed how he planned for his success to translate over to the B class next year.

There is no shame when a piece of plastic is concerned.

James

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i've read posts in the past about riders wanting to get out of c and go to b because the c riders were getting in thier way. from what i gatherd from my fancy district 17 pamphlet,that 1.c class is for 1st year riders(some exceptions).2. points would be evaluated at season end,with b class riders being moved up,if meeting a certain point limit(some exceptions) 3.my fancy D17 card has "c" on it. it would seem to me that D17 is trying to combat sand bagging. also, it seems strange that locall tracks would allow it because of the effect it has on other riders. OBVIOUSLY i'm missing something here, but i would think cheaters will always cheat,and putting that onus on the district to police is something that might require more time and effort as apposed to puting the onus on the local track. i'm not trying to kiss up,or P.O any one,but aren't the sign in sheets public, so ya see bob signed up for "b" class,knowing he's an "a" rider, could you not then protest to the official?this is not meant to come off as wise a$$,because i realize this is a touchy subject,just trying to understand. btw, the number/backing colors are different too? hmm. at SFDR i've seen the "c" class,and there is definately two different level of riders out there. i guess i'll find out more when i get off my butt and start riding in some of those.:eek:

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
i shoot trap.at a registered ATA trap shoot you present your card at sign up.they punch the number in the computer and in 15 seconds they know your average,how many targets you shot at 2 years ago,last year, and this year.and what your handicap yardage is.soooo if your a 27 yard AA shooter there aint no way your gonna shoot from the 20 yard line.i cant understand how the amateur trap assoc can have a system like this but the tracks and the ama cant.by the way as far as ethics are concerned a AA shooter caries that card with PRIDE.:D

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
but we all know the story of the guy who cant win so he takes his ball and goes home.i know a guy who changed his name(so he could change class?),also a A rider who came back after a number of years off and rode the D class at casey.and wardy im sure knows guys that got moved to A got MAD? and quit.when i got back into this in 91 i signed up for B.i could have rode C but why.the rule book says thats for begineers,not old returning A riders.and anyone who knows me, knows im slow enough for C.but thats ok let those guys have their day in the sun.when a expert comes back and rides aB/ C class all he's doin is stealing the fun from some guy that really wants it.i had my turn in the 70's my day is over.neither one of my boys will race/ride anymore. i do it for fun,nothing more.1st place, last place,middle of pack,i could care less.it dont mean nothin.i just dont wanna get hurt anymore.for me thats a winning day, goin home in the same truck i went to the race in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom