DIY Swingarm bearing install and shock repair?

420J

Sep 1, 2002
Hi, I recently had my swingarm bolt pressed out on my 88 rm 250. Now its time to replace the bearings. I have my factory service manual on order but I need to know if you have to use a hydraulic press to install these bearings or can I use the old hammer and socket method. The shop is trying to charge me an arm and a leg just to install these bearings. I was also wanting them to change the fork seals and oil. They're charging an arm and a leg for this too. How hard is this to do on my own? Any special tools I need? Also rebuilding the rear shock? I am clueless untill I get my manual and I am not into getting raped over this. I need to let this guy know buy tomorrow if I want him to do the work for me. BTW I am better than an average mechanic just lacing knowledge on my bike. Thanks for the info guys. :thumb:

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You can do the swingarm bearings using the hammer and socket method. Heat the swingarm first.
Doing a rear shock is another story. Unless you have the tools and access to nitrogen its not worth it. What do you mean "by an arm and a leg"? Should be $150.00 at the very max.

420J

Sep 1, 2002
Great, Thanks for the reply. Heres my qoute. Install swing arm bearings $100.00. Repair rear shock and change oil 100.00 (thats with new bottom bumper). Replace fork seals 140.00 including the seals. I guess I'm going to bite the bullet on the shocks since I don't have access to nitrogen or the special tools. I'll try my luck with the bearings though. Do you recomend heating the swingarm with a propane torch and freezing the bearings. Do you install the wheel bearings the same way?Thanks for your help.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Always better to press than to hammer. I use sockets of the correct size, and a woodworkers vice. I put a piece of tape around the socket to indicate how deep to press the bearing home(it is usually around 5mm in to allow for the oil seal and bush but look in your manual or measure the old ones before you press them out) the tape means you can press the bearing in till the tape aligns with the side of the swingarm, without having to keep removing it from the vice to measure how far you need to go.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Yes, heat the swingarm gently with a propane torch. Put the bearings in the freezer overnight. Be sure to clean out the bearing surface of any corrosion first.

Top Bottom