Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Try to make one of these meetings.

I'll be at the Grayling one tonight.

The DNR is updating the ORV Plan and a study of the ORV program is being conducted by Dr Charles Nelson, (University of Michigan) to help determine future needs of the program. One component of the plan update and study is to gather information about the ORV Trail System. Three public meetings have been set to present general information about previous planning efforts and explain the process the Department is using to update the plan. The structure of the meetings will allow for public input into the planning process.

ORV PLAN PUBLIC INFORMATION AND INPUT MEETINGS:

October 12, 7:00p.m. Holiday Inn South, 6280 South Cedar St, Lansing.
Meeting info: Contact Kim Korbecki, 517-373-2891, korbeckk@michigan.gov

October 13, 7:00p.m. Holiday Inn – Grayling,2650 Business Loop South I-75, Grayling.

October 14, 7:00p.m. Ramada Inn, 412 West Washington Street, Marquette.

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
just wriring to see if anyone else was there, I went, there was about 80-100 people total. One thing that surprised me was the very evident, us and they, between the motorcycle guys and the ATVquad guys. I know we're looking for two types of trails to ride, but at this point its obvious that the current loop system is not large enough to support the traffic. 165,000 ORV permits vs. 35,000 when they first started the permits. but the clubs need to get their acts together and put forth a combined plan that benefits all, and not the expense of the other.

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
there was about 80-100 people in attendance there mtg. was chaired by a dr. Nelson from MSU he has done economic impact studies about ORV usage. the mtg is an info gathering meeting . the current ORV plan was las updated in1979 and the last real changes were put in place in 1990.
From our perspective the ORV trail system we ride is based of assumption and usage #'s that are 25 years old. last year there was 165,000 ORV stickers sold. and there are people who ride who don't get stickers(unfortunately) but the original ORV plan was based off 20,000 users and based of of motorcycle only usage. we now have ATV's and cycles. + 4wd trucks. looking for use areas.
in the mtg. there was alot of input on the need to expand the trail system, and also to create separate or shadow trail systems that support cycle and ATV traffic. there was also input to do directional trails. there were the 4wd drive guys who were there to say that there is really no place for them to go except silver lake and the mounds. they too are looking for technical 4wd trails in the forest system.
the one thng that hit me was the us and them attititude from both the atv and cycle guys. in my mind this is STUPID we need to work together not at the expense of each other. Bill Chapin of the CCC had a written statement that was pretty good, but it still could be tweaked and it would be wise to team up with the 4wd and ATV guys to put together a complete proposal the would be better for all. there were detractors on both sides the was a couple of old guys saying they only care about bikes and referred to the original plan 18" trail width and some of the ATV guys point fingers at the cycle only loops and saying they want some of the existing loops to be atv only and 60" wide.(kind of side tracked the meeting and din'r help) booth of these points of view aren't helping anyone. I prefer singletrack myself ,but there are more quads than bikes thes days and both have their place, but I think there should be separate loops on the same areas,(if for just pure safety reasons) just like the shadow loop of the MCCT along the luzerne trail. there was also discussion on trail signage , liability issues for clubs doing volunteer work on trails and trail maintainence, the budget for trials there is currently a 3.3million dollar surplus in the ORV fund(funderd by the 16.25 stickers) that has not been appropriated for use. and the fact that the current assumptions on cost of trail maintainence is too low. there was input about some trail beds being worn out, (if yu've ridden Gladwin,st.helen and other southern loops the are beat.)
but this all boils down too is now is the time to input to the plan. the more the better. the DNR is supposed to have a draft in Jan. 05 timeframe. then there will be a comment period.
we need to be heard this in the first time in 25 years that we have the ability to affect the trails system and improve it. take the time to input go to the web site. and remember be thoughtful of the entire off-road community. the more we work together the further we will get.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The last 10 words of FLEM's is what I essentially said at the meeting that wasn't at Higgins Lake in June 2000. At this Lansing meeting I said the progress wouldn't fill an 8 ounce glass and that the DNR should be re-organized to effectively and efficiently manage state lands for the public. To this end I have sent letters or e-mails to every senator and representative in Michigan asking them to look into this matter. Not being a resident, I felt it was the best way to go.

Young Ted

Top Bottom