Do I need a rod kit?

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
Well the other day I was out riding my 1989 KX 250. I hit a stretch of flat and got on it pretty hard. The bike started to lose power, started knocking/clicking (not really a knock, sounded like the pipe fell off and was running with no exhaust.)
I pulled in the clutch and it instantly died.
It still had fairly good compression but would not start again. When I kicked right afterward it blew quite a deal of smoke out the pipe. When I kicked it over by hand it "clicked" when it reached TDC.
Anyways, I pulled the engine apart today. The piston looks good other than a bunch of pinholes along the top outer edge. Rings/piston will be replaced.
What really irks me though is that the rod has a lot of play. It has about a 1/8 inch play up and down and 1/4 inch side to side. I was told it should have ZERO play up and down. Could the bike have broken down because of this? There is also oil seeping from the stator side crank seal :(
Any ideas anyone? Where is the cheapest place for a rod kit? Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Ouch! Sounds like the big end bearing let go. Yes you need a rod kit. Get crank seals while you are there. A rod kit is in the neighborhood of $120.00.

ononewheel

Nov 4, 2003
I recently rebuild my bike then when I was riding it suddenly stopped and lost compression.

Taking the engine aprt revealed the piston had been drilling the head.

Ive just spent over 400£ on new piston etc, and now the ****ing conrod or big end has let go and wrecked the new piston etc.

It aint my year.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…