PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
Well the other day I was out riding my 1989 KX 250. I hit a stretch of flat and got on it pretty hard. The bike started to lose power, started knocking/clicking (not really a knock, sounded like the pipe fell off and was running with no exhaust.)
I pulled in the clutch and it instantly died.
It still had fairly good compression but would not start again. When I kicked right afterward it blew quite a deal of smoke out the pipe. When I kicked it over by hand it "clicked" when it reached TDC.
Anyways, I pulled the engine apart today. The piston looks good other than a bunch of pinholes along the top outer edge. Rings/piston will be replaced.
What really irks me though is that the rod has a lot of play. It has about a 1/8 inch play up and down and 1/4 inch side to side. I was told it should have ZERO play up and down. Could the bike have broken down because of this? There is also oil seeping from the stator side crank seal :(
Any ideas anyone? Where is the cheapest place for a rod kit? Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Ouch! Sounds like the big end bearing let go. Yes you need a rod kit. Get crank seals while you are there. A rod kit is in the neighborhood of $120.00.

ononewheel

Nov 4, 2003
I recently rebuild my bike then when I was riding it suddenly stopped and lost compression.

Taking the engine aprt revealed the piston had been drilling the head.

Ive just spent over 400£ on new piston etc, and now the ****ing conrod or big end has let go and wrecked the new piston etc.

It aint my year.

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
Top Bottom