Do I need a spark arrestor if I buy a two stroke

rrich49132

Dec 14, 2009
If I am going to be riding Peters Mill Run Area and Tasker's Gap ATV/OHV Trails it states the following:

Using any vehicle without a muffler and spark arrestor or one that exceeds a noise limit of 99 db at 20 inches at test rpm.

How loud are two strokes stock? Will I have to buy a spark arrestor or am I OK?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A spark arrester is a good idea anytime you are not on a MX track. If you can reduce the sound level at all, do it, our sport depends on it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The need for a spark arrestor is not a two vs four stroke issue. They are a good idea anywhere and required on most public lands.

Stock your two stroke was probably quiet enough. If you haven't changed the packing in your silencer lately it might be less effective and hence too loud. If you have modified your silencer or if it has been replaced with an after market variety it may very well be too loud.

I am not familiar with the riding area you mentioned (and have no idea where it is) so I can't comment on the enforcement of the regulations. Where I ride (California OHV areas) the enforcement varies with the area.

The only time I have ever been checked for sound levels is at an organized race event. My two stroke passes with a fair margin with an FMF turbine core II silencer.

As for the spark arrestor: Some riding areas have a ranger kiosk at the entrance where they check all the bikes coming in. If you don't have a spark arrestor they don't let the bike in. Period.

Other places that don't have a controlled access point may be patrolled by rangers / sheriffs. In the forest areas where a forest fire is a very real danger they do check and will issue citations if you don't have the spark arrestor. Out in the desert I have yet to see a citation issued for lack of a spark arrestor.

If you are going to be riding often in a place that has a requirement then I would recommend that you just bite the bullet and buy yourself a good silenced that is also an approved spark arrestor. It is comforting to know that your bike is 100% legal and you don't have to worry if you encounter a ranger on the trail.

If you only occasionally ride in such a place then you might want to consider one of the slip on spark arrestors that go on to your existing silencer.

Rod

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
What the heck kind of question is that? Your bike must have one to go trail riding, do the schools not teach common sense any more? In cal. the chp can ticket you for not having a spark arrestor on a bike that is being transported on a truck or trailer. They stop you, look for it, if it's not there, they start writing.... END OF STORY. :bang:
P.S. If you have a transport permit & can prove you only ride on a closed private race track, mot-x, road race, super moto, speed way, drag race, ETC. these I believe are the only exceptions.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Porkchop, not everyone lives in Kalifornication. Many people can still go days without seeing any law enforcement. Rmc_olderthandirt made the simplest way to figure out your situation.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
You will def. need a spark arrestor. 2 strokes are loud but you should have no prob passing any test. There are a ton of them out there with aftermarket exhaust.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
yes you do

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound so curt, rude, or arrogant about this.
All bikes run on varying amounts of fire in them, both 2 strokes & 4 strokes. This generates carbon soot that can fly out of the system as sparks which can turn into an ignition source for wild fires. Where I live we take that subject very seriously, since our fire season involves 10 months of the year on average. Spark arrestors are required on all engine driven equipment, generators, pumps, welders,compressors,
lawn mowers, tractors, & motorcycles too. I view it as a common sense thing. Also, it is really heart breaking to see a favorite riding area or a home for that matter, get destroyed by a wild fire :( . Off roaders get a bad enough rap from the media as it is, we don't need any headlines reading " Careless off roader starts wild fire" no matter what state it happens in.
Thanks, Porkchop... :cool:

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Very true Porkchop, a good quality spark arrestor silencer is one of the most proactive mods an off road rider can do.

Top Bottom