Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Oh man, oh man. I just replaced the oil in my forks, with 10w (up from 7) and 105mm from the top (from 116 I think)
Race tech gold valves all around
Pain. In. The. Butt.
But at least I know how now, and it needed it anyway.

Sucker still bottoms over 3 foot jump.

So, new fork springs are probably in order for X-mas or something.

Tell me: IS THIS GOING TO MAKE IT STOP BOTTOMING ON 3 FOOT JUMPS? I want to be able to jump my XR! I know its possible, I've seen people doing it. My back shock is fine. Its just the front. Yeah, its really nice for the trail. But dang. 3 feeet? I'm 155lbs. Thats not exactly heavy. Thanks for your input.

Oh, stock spring rate: .382 kg/mm
Recommended by racetech: 0.443

Those numbers mean nothing to me. Could sombody explain them? What is a good website to order from? Thanks,

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Rannoch

So, new fork springs are probably in order for X-mas or something.

Tell me: IS THIS GOING TO MAKE IT STOP BOTTOMING ON 3 FOOT JUMPS?

Well, if it's just lightly bottoming now, then it might. Changing the springs won't make it a non-bottoming SX tool. Is the oil level now the highest allowed? If not, add oil until it is. Are the compression clickers (if any) set to full hard? If not, do that. Did you make sure there was no air in the forks when you measured the oil level?

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Oil level: 105mm (service manual says 116, doesnt provide a range)
Oil weight: 10w
Clickers are all the way hard

Getting the air out: yes, I believe I did. Although, perhaps not, since this was my first time.

I moved the damping rod up an down till oil came out. And the fork leg went up and down. Then I measured.

I believe its only lightly bottoming. It doesnt REALLY jar me when I land. The tire hits one part of the fender.

Thanks,

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Rannoch
I believe its only lightly bottoming. It doesnt REALLY jar me when I land.

The springs will probably help that, although the change you suggest is so big that the shock spring might be out of whack with the forks after it and you'll need a new spring back there, too.

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
The person I bought the bike from told me that RaceTech told him that the front springs were good for his weight. He bought a RaceTech rear shock for his weight, so I think thats fine.

I've had the suggestion that I need more damping. I should take it to a shop or something?

Top Bottom