Do I need to re-plate my cylinder?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
No, it doesn't need to be replated, but I couldn't tell you what caused the damage. That problem needs to be diagnosed and corrected before it gets bad enough to actually affect anything. It's possible the errosion is detonation related.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
The bike had been running lean after I put a factory fatty on, but I changed back to stock jetting to richen it up and it was fine. I don't think this was something that happened gradually, I'm pretty sure it happened during the seize because the bike was appart a month earlier and everything looked fine. There was a bunch of carbon packed into the head that was cleaned off also.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Not sure what you mean by lined, but this is definately a plated cylinder. Anyway I got it honed for $5 today and it looks fine, there's a scratch in the plating below where the ring would travel that I can still feel with my nail but I'm not gonna worry about it. If it blows again it's goin' for parts and I'm getting a 250. Thanks for the replies.

96 YZ 125

Jan 10, 2007
i agree with solid state, there does apear to be a sleeve in the cylinder. did you buy the bike used or new. if used the previous owner may have already redone the top end, hence the sleeve

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
I'm the origingal owner and I've read it's supposed to just be a plating and that's what it seems to me, maybe I'm missing something? :S

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am gonna go out on a limb,again,some of Kawasaki's platings are the worst in the industry! It looked fine and you can get liners plated also! Now,where is my carbon fiber cylinder,with plating? If that cylinder was set up for o rings I would be worried. A full head gasket should be fine.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I am gonna go out on a limb,again,some of Kawasaki's platings are the worst in the industry!

I've heard the same comments before. It's also been said that the plating is so weak that it's a bad idea to hone. And if you do hone, do so lightly with an undersized hone (like a Flex-Hone) and use a softer abrasive. Still looks like a sleeve from the picture - maybe it's my monitor.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
It's definitely plated, not sleeved. It's the lighting on the o-ring groove that makes it look like a sleeve. I agree with a quick hone and run it till it dies. You're looking for an excuse to move up to a 250 anyway!

Top Bottom