Do I need to replace any of my engine components?

DaRooster

Oct 8, 2005
Hi all,
Need some input from some of you fellow riders. I have been disassembling my top-end components, checking for wear and clearances, etc. Cleaned all of the parts up really good and inspected them for damage, excessive wear what have you. The piston had some carbon build-up on the dome, but I cleaned the dome up, now bright and shiny. The skirts and side of the piston show absolutely no weat whatsoever. Rings look great. 600 grit and a good cleaning on the cylinder showing no wear with a great looking cross-hatch on the walls. Cleaned up the exhaust valve really good. Disassembled the reed valve and everything looks great. Carbon fiber reeds show no wear, cracking or anything. Look like they came right out of the box. Water pump is very clean, impeller looks immaculate. My question is should I reassemble, with lubing and new gaskets of course, and concentrate my efforts (and funds) somewhere else?? Let me know your honest opinion. Thanks in advance.

Chad

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
is cylinder ROUND/TRUE UP AND DOWN ? piston still in spec ? the cylinder/piston are the only two that i would worry about from the sounds of it.

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
If you're already in there, you might as well throw in a new set of rings while your at it, with circlips and a top end bearing. Ya figure if you already got the stuff apart, and most of it looks in top shape, its worth the 15 bucks to make the bike run like new again with a fresh set of rings.

Also, check the slop in the crank with a feeler gage, as well as the play in the lower end bearing.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you can check ring end gap to see if you want to reuse them. If the piston to cylinder gap it good and the cylinder is round then I'd reuse it. I personally also like to replace the rings while I'm in there. just nice having it a little fresher.

Top Bottom