Do you feel wierd buying matching gear?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I have this aversion to buying a matching pant/jersey/glove combo. I dunno what it is, but I'm afraid I'd feel like a kook, you know- like when the guys on Dumb & Dumber got to Aspen & bought fancy outfits to fit in. I can understand the Pros getting matching outfits for free from their clothing sponsor, & that's o.k. I just bought a new pair of Thor pants, & a semi-matching Troy Lee jersey. The gal at MXSouth was actually shocked that I'd do that. It took me forever to figure out what pants & jersey to get. Honestly, I wouldn't get an Answer Jersey & O'Neal pants. That's wrong, too. But the way I figure, Troy Lee stuff isn't really hardcore dirtbike gear, more like a specialty company that branched out. I almost went with SoCal pants, but couldn't do it because I'm from Northern California, & even though they're out of the midwest somewhere I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. Too bad, they were my #1 choice. Second was Troy Lee's pants, but I got wierded out by them, too. I can wear a jersey, but to wear their pants- heck- they're not a real dirtbike gear company! Oh my head hurts. Next, I was going to go with O'Neal Hardwear pants. But I just bought O'Neal boots. That's a definite no-no. So I came back to Thor. My problem now is dealing with Jeremy. As much as I like them (Thor was my first set of gear a few years ago), I feel like I'm jumping a bandwagon. I toyed with Progrips, Sinisalos, and even Mooses (Meese?). Speaking of such, have you guys ever heard Brian Regan's "Stupid in School" bit? Too funny.

Anyone else suffer from this disease? Or am I just neurotic?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Zio I don't have anything that matches (my wife says). Since I am colorblind and really don't give a darn anyways it doesn't bother me to be wearing blue Fox360 pants with a blue and white Thor jersey, green MSR gloves and a black MSR helmet on a white bike

Thekid on the other hand has everything matching (including underware probably;))

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
DUUUUUDE, you've got issues. I buy matching gear and then mix it up as parts wear out, I can't really worry about looking dumb off the bike, cause no matter how cool I look off it eventually people see me ride and then I look even dumber. :scream:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by gospeedracer
"neurotic" is one way of putting it........... :p
Ditto! :think:

B

biglou

Neutral colors. Gray pants and almost any color jersey. Gray, and blue go with almost anything. Remember: "It is more important to look good, than to feel good!" :D

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hey Zio, just try to go really fast so people see you as a colored "blur". Unfortunately, I am not fast, so my gear must match.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
None of my stuff matches. I've got a green Fox jersey, blue Thor pants, some black Thor boots and a yellow and red helmet, on a green bike. The way I figure it is, if I fall off in the middle of the woods, I won't match any of the secenery and be less likely to get run over.

Last edited:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I guess I'm the opposite, I feel stupid wearing non-matching gear. My wife(RIP) always thought it all looked < mod edit > anyway, especially in the early to mid '90's. All that purple and pink(they said it was red). Dark colors always looked the best but what good is it if you pass out from heat exhaustion so this year I got the Answer Edge ***bright*** yellow p&j combo and the '01 axo mm air yz blue p,j & gloves and blue HJC helmet with white AXO boots with yellow plastic. I wear the blue gloves with the yellow gear to match the blue helmet. Plus a clear/black Aftershock. What good is all those nice looking jerseys if you cover it with a colored CP? How's that for a fashion statement!! :) I'm like Woody Harrelson said of black players in 'White Men Can't Jump', look good first, play good second! :aj:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
As long as your underwear matches your socks, I really don't see any problem. :scream:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer
"neurotic" is one way of putting it........... :p

Ha! That's funny, you know... that you'd be first in line to call me nuts. ;)

Hey Farmer John, my issues don't have nekkid ladies in them. Or wait, they do. Just no nekkid dudes.

And for the record, JMD- I feel weird all the time. I feel weird right now. I'm wearing boxer briefs and they're bunching up and I don't think I like where things are going. Maybe I should try a thong.

Back to the topic though- I was thinking of dumping the motocross outfit deals & going retro cafe-racer. Whaddya all think? Black leather jacket, dirty bluejeans, black engineer boots, gauntlet style gloves, and a pompodour so tall that it would hit the header if I didn't duck through doorways. I'd put a bitch brick on the back of the kTm & give rides to any DRN chick that showed up in a black airforce jacket & cigarette pants. :cool: Man, I feel like James Dean already.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
If it's clean it's good.
If it's clean and has no holes it's better.
If I remember to bring it it's best.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The older I get, the more I like the darker colors (slimming effect). Name brands dont mean a thing to me, but my white helmet (easy to see among the fallen leaves) and my black chest protector match just about everything. As to the underwear matching the socks, I cant seem to find tube socks in brown.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Proper Attire 101

The answer, my tougher than nails dirt headed friends, is you need to accessorize! That's right, I said it. The gloves and boots MUST match. The pants, jersey and brain bucket MUST match, but in a slightly different scheme than the boots and gloves. Chest protectors, belts and othere exterior protection should be a neutral dark color, preferably black. All of this MUST be coordinated with the basic color scheme of your bike, thusly tying in everything, enabling you to strut confidently to your bike, crash, and stagger back to the pits, with the greatest of style. In order to achieve this, you may need to change the color of your bike seat or plastic. Several comibinatioins may be tried to perfectly arrange the ensemble. Pink tutu's, baskets and handle bar streamers always add a nice accent.

Anything less is, well, shall we say, nothing more than risky, or should I say risque!

:) :) :)

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Oh man,
I have to have everything match. Right down to the kidney belt and chest protector! Dont really have a reason, and back when I was young and poor, nothing ever matched. I was just lucky to have gear.
It not because I want to look like a pro. But I do want to be percieved as being serious at what ever I do.
I work construction and I always try to have all my power tools from the same manufacturer also.
I guess i`m just weird.
In more ways than one! :p

bundy

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
"Hello, police department? I'd like to file a missing person report. <pause> Well, he's about 5'4", very hairy, and he's wearing a red shirt and green pants. <pause> What? NO, he's NOT retarded."
(Free mojo to anyone who can ID the movie I paraphrased^^^.)

zio, have you tried counseling? I have, and it worked wonders. All my stuff matches now, and I feel normal when I ride.

To quote David Lee Roth: "It's not whether you win or lose. . .it's how good you look playing the game."

Lorin, I found a store that sells gray tube socks with brown stripes. Matches my undies perfectly. Lemme know if you want the address.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I'd say that the only part of my gear I want to match is my jersey and pants. Helmets can be any color. Chest protectors and boots don't have to match, but I prefer a nuetral color (my CP is grey) so they can go with any set of gear. It annoys me that my boots are red and black, though. Yeah, they match my gear, but it seems a little over the top. Next pair I get will just be black. Gloves....who cares, they don't get seen very much.

For some reason it bugs me to see the guy with brand new, fresh out of the package pants, also sporting a jersey from around 1992.

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Julius Pleaser, I believe that is from the movie Sixteen Candles :)

Top Bottom