Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Having had suspension done on multiple bikes by multiple individuals, I find the most important aspect is the relationship and understanding between the customer and the tuner. Hard to do over the phone and across state lines, especially when down time and shipping are factored in. Having tried: heavy springs\light valving, medium spring\valving and light springs \ heavier valving, as well as differing types of pistons (stock, race tech, and Mx-tech), I have decided that there are truly many different ways to get to a similar place. Having someone local that you ride with (or can watch you ride) seems to be the more important factor to me anymore. Many tuners have a "lean" toward mx or enduro, etc., and that may influence their ideas as to what they think you need (as compared to what you asked for). My recent bike has Race tech valves, light springing, and moderate stack, which works pretty well for the majority of my riding. I no longer feel the need to eek out the last 5-10% of my suspension and am content with where it is at. I may occasionally try a different shim, etc., but like the ease of seeing where the differences come from.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Like with many things in life you learn that honesty is the best policy when talking with a suspension tuner. MX Tech has done my bikes and I can't imagine riding a stock bike for long ever again. Of course I've heard all the folks that cry that this or that company screwed their suspension up but you never get all the details. More often than not it was a "miscommunication" of some sort. Well to avoid "miscommunications" and the associated aggrivation, costs, and down time if you tell the tuner your real skill level, the real type of riding you do and the conditions you typically ride under as well as how much you really weigh with gear on and all the other little detail they can usually get it right or really close to where you just need to do some fiddling with the settings.

This is at least what I have learned over the years in dealing with MX Tech who will be the only place to ever touch my suspension. Then again I might be bias since everything has always been spot on each time and anybody that has ridden my bikes is blown away at how well they work (at least if they are in the heavey weight class).

barry425

Nov 29, 2005
Suspension work

I took my 1983 CR480 to White Bros. when they were in Stanton. They did the rear shock and I put an ATK kit in the front forks. The suspension is so plush that I can't feel it when It comes down from a wheelie.
White Bros. doesn't do suspension anymore, so I now go to Race Tech. I have a 1986 CR500, a 1987 CR250, and a 2000 CR500 and did the Race Tech thing front and rear with all of them. They are 1,000% better than stock (after messing with them several times each), but nowhere near the White Bros. work on my CR480.
I understand that Suspension by Jake is good, but I was never able to actually FIND him. No phone, no internet, and referrals from folks in the business (Honda dealers, etc.) yielded disconnected phone numbers.
I eventually bought my own Nitrogen tank so I could do the shocks myself. I think you'll find that Race Tech's spec's for your rider weight comes out pretty stiff. For instance, I weigh 200 and had to use the specs for a 140 pound rider to get even close to a rideable suspension. It may be too stiff yet, but I have to give it a test ride before further mods to the valving.

zomby woof

Jul 3, 2012
This is my first post here. I found this forum while looking for some tech info on my bike. It liked the lack of BS, so I decided to join.

I started racing MX again after almost 30 years off. I bought a new bike, and found the suspension stiff and harsh. All my riding buddies insisted that I needed a revalve, but it didn't seem right to me that a brand new race bike should need $$$ worth of suspension work out of the box. I reluctantly took it to a local shop that has a good rep. After 2 weeks of waiting, and 3 price increases, I took my stuff back, and had a club member who is a dealer for a major suspension company service it. He recommended an oil change first, then we see how it feels and make a decision which way to go from there.

It was worse, and once I spoke to him I found out why. He put the wrong oil in the shock. It was kicking and bucking worse than ever.
That's when I decided to do it myself. I'm a mechanic and machinist, and have a service manual, so I figured, why not?

I went with a lighter spring up front, stock in the rear, and did A LOT of research on different suspension fluids. I used only high quality fluids, much lighter than stock, and now the bike handles. I'm running up front in my class, and am now able to tune it exactly where I need it using the compression and rebound adjustment. I've ridden my friends bikes, with all their $$ suspension work, and don't think they handle any better (or as well in some cases) as my bike.

When I told my riding buddies what I was going to do, every one of them told me you couldn't tune suspension with oil viscosity :laugh:

Top Bottom