do you think a crf250r would be good for me?

GEORGIA_boy

May 8, 2007
i have been wanting a 230, but have been thinking about it and just thought i would step it up a bit, and plus my neighbor just got a crf450r and he's only 12, and about 5' 4'' tall. but thats just him, (i dont think he should have got it.)

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) about 6' 135-140 ibs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty physical kinda agressive, i can be very at times.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? woods, with friends, some tracks, jumps, trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? rode some four wheelers for about 45 minutes. it was a yamaha 400, and a polaris. did pretty good on them.
5) Do you think you will race ? probably not any time soon
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? can do some things, but major things i will have to learn or take to a shop
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke honda, am open to other suggestions.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, honda and kawasaki
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $1500 - $4000
10) Do you live in California? no, georgia
11) Your age? 15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion have been wanting a dirt bike for a long time and i think i will learn very well and fast. please help me! thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
GEORGIA_boy said:
i have been wanting a 230, but have been thinking about it and just thought i would step it up a bit, and plus my neighbor just got a crf450r and he's only 12, and about 5' 4'' tall. but thats just him, (i dont think he should have got it.)

Just wait for the ambulance.

But yeah i think a CRF250X Would be better than the R for you. Its more trail oriented but can be taken to the track.

BUT if you think you would be at the track more then the R would be better.

But the CRF250R/X take alo more maintence than the CRF230. But it will have ALOT more ballz than the 230.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yes there is. FROM WHAT I HAVE HERD the 250 havs alot more power and is 'snapier' than the 230. The 250 is a new age MX bike and it will go. BUT the 230 isn't crappy. it still has that low end grunt of a 4-stroke and goes. It runs good and fairley fast. But it its a pretty big difference between the 250.

Now as maintence goes the 230 would be alot less. the 250 requires you to check the vales atleast eveyr 15 hours and keep in check with all the others. (tranny oil, engine oil, Air filter and all that other stuff.) But the 250 would be alot less. Youah you still have to do the oil changes, and air fiter. But it wont require you to check the valves nearley as often.

Now yeah the 250 need a little more love and care. But you will get used to the extra maintence. And get good and quick at it. And then it would take you no time at all. Then the 250 would be a GREAT investment for you. But if you neglect to do the reglitory maintence then you will run into problems. Like running like crap. And maby your top end blowing which can cost ALOT more than it was worth to work on it.

Now the 230 is less maintence. But i think it weighs more, and it doent have a kick start. Only electric (all good till the battery dies).

Top Bottom