smoke9

BikeGraphix
~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2004
So I helped set up a Hare Scramble course here in Kansas on Saturday and after about 8 hours of work, I went out for a practice run. I ended up crushing a couple of my toes and had to got to the ER. On Monday went to my Ortho Surgeon for a 2:15pm appt. I got to the office 15 min early to fill out paperwork. I sat in the waiting room until 3:15 and was then asked to come on back. I then sat in the little room for another hour!! When the doctor finally came in... He spent less than 10 min with me and I even had to rewrap my own wound when the meeting was done! Not even an apology for the wait! I run a business and would never treat a customer this way.. what has happened to customer service! :bang:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'm a contractor, and the man who owns the business (fortune 500) where I buy material tells this story........."I had to go see the Dr, and after a 30 min wait, I got up and told the lady behind the glass, time IS money and my time is worth more than his...I don't appreciate the wait!" He was seen right away. Boy I wish I could use that one..........

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
I feel its on the same line as gas prices they know that they can get away with that crap because no matter what were going to have to put up with it and pay it. One or more people may get a break because they stand up for themselves But Unless we all stand up for each other and ourselves Its gonna be a hard thing to change especially since alot of people have this attitude like well It doesn't effect me that much or so what I hardly have to deal with it? And they would rather not get off their couch then vote or write a letter or email.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I hate it when I'm supposed to meet with a contractor and he makes me wait an hour . . .

I hate it when I'm supposed to go see the car mechanic and he makes me wait an hour . . .

it all sucks, BUT . . .

That doc has probably been seeing people all freakin' day long, a lot of them taking up way more of his time than you ever thought of taking up because they are hypochondriacs and keep pestering him with questions, while your injury was an easy diagnosis that wouldn't take him very long so he would be able to go to the next old lady who might need bunion surgery or something.

either that or he was golfing :rotfl:

Yes, he should have apologized for making you wait, but a guy's gotta take a minute and think about what other people are dealing with in their day.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I hate it when I order graphics and theres a long wait, shipping delays, and a messed up order :rotfl:

As to the Dr's, you can thank your freindly insurance company for the wait! My father in law was a Dr, and he said the Insurance companies he worked with would demand a certain amount of visits a day. Since they contract with Dr's for lower amounts then we would pay, they make up for that with volumn. Hence no more time with your doc!
Also, Maybe you should try going to school/training for 10-12 extra years, pay off huge student loans, work weekends, nights, do your rounds at 6 so you can be to the office by 8 so you're not late, pay payroll for 2 admins, 2 nurses, and 1 PA, buy new equipment all the time, pay hospital fees, cleaning fees, disposal fees, and probably the worst is the Malpractice Insurance.
I know 3 Dr's now who have declared bankruptcy due to the malpractice Insurance (straw that broke the camels back). Maybe not a fair comparision, because WA state has the highest percentage of malpractice lawsuits.

smoke9

BikeGraphix
~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2004
I feel you on those graphic companies BSwift.. what a bunch of lazy "artists".... :laugh:

Yeah I understand and think about what other people have done to get to that position... or what their day may have been like before I arrived at the office and waited 2 hours.... If I didn't take these things into consideration I would have made a scene, left and/or told the doctor how I felt. I didn't do that, I calmly wrapped my wound, went to the pharmacy and got my pain meds... and went home and whined on the computer behind his back...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
smoke9 said:
. . . I calmly wrapped my wound, went to the pharmacy and got my pain meds... and went home and whined on the computer behind his back...
I don't mean to laugh at your pain, but that is some funny stuff right there, mister!

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Hope your toes feel better... how did you crush them?
Ken

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I calmly wrapped my wound, went to the pharmacy and got my pain meds... and went home and whined on the computer behind his back...

That is a good line :cool:

I do agree though a little common courtesy goes a long way!

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
bsmith said:
That is a good line :cool:

I do agree though a little common courtesy goes a long way!

It is a very funny line. I agree.

I went to the doctor a week ago for a routinish thing... short appointment. I was running late... called from the car to see if they'd still see me (knowing how these things are)... got there.. waited maybe another ten minutes tops- kinda normalish... got called in...

and...here's the rub....

They apologized profusely for having made me wait!! :rotfl:

I 'fessed up that it was the other way around.

Well, your pain was my smile. Thanks for some great humor.

Hope you get better soon.

smoke9

BikeGraphix
~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2004
Thanks all for your concern.. I was moving pretty good on a bermed right turn, very rocky, and my brake foot caught a large rock. SMASHED between the rock and peg! The broken bones I can handle but the stitches under the removed toenails was brutal! Now its the boredom of my limited movement and not riding thats painful..... thank god for the internet :nod:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My son's orthodontist runs a tight ship. It's a pretty big operation and she sees the patient exactly at the appointed time or earlier if they are ahead and the patient is available. When you sign up you agree that late is not an option and they do as well. So most of his visits for routine adjustments etc... are 10 minutes tops. The more lengthy visits for molds, brackets, etc... take exactly as long as they say. Still great bedside manner and you feel like they gave you quality time.

My podiatrist / sports med doc is also pretty good about giving ya' time and staying on schedule. Of course I might get special treatment as he's my cousin LOL! But my allergist is typically pretty prompt as well. I need to find a new GP and that's going to be an important item for me. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
KS Hare Scramble.. Perry?
I live in KS too. Olathe, KS. (Near Overland Park and Lenexa)
Where do you live?

EDIT: I just realized your thing says Bike Graphix. =P
I purchased number plates from you guys about a week ago.
I already received them, and they look great on the bike.
Thanks. What a small world..
BTW, the number plates were for the '05 CR125R Number 205.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. The receptionist told me they allow 30 minutes for paperwork, so if you're appointment is at 2, you're really not supposed to be called till 2:30 and that's to go back to the next waiting room, so they're really only an hour and a half behind instead of 2 hours. I did make the comment that only the medical profession could get away with that. :bang:

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
smoke9 said:
I sat in the waiting room until 3:15 and was then asked to come on back. I then sat in the little room for another hour!!

buddy, come to Canda and try out our health care system. I had to wait 5.5 hours just to get an x-ray for my finger, it wasnt even broken.

smoke9

BikeGraphix
~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2004
Patman said:
Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.

Great way to put it Patman! Not many other professions, if any at all, could get away with such a great waste of customer time. But when it comes to our health.. We seem to wait a little longer and put up with a little more.. espically if the doctor comes highly recommended.
BSmith hit the nail on the head when he said a little
common courtesy goes a long way. Espically in an age when we dont get a "thanks" from the pimple faced kid at the drivethru or the soccer mom on her cell phone for whom you hold open the door. Alright.. thats all the whining I can do for one day. Did I mention how much I enjoy my pain meds.... :p

Oh.. THORmx_nucca glad to hear you are happy with our product! THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS! :nod:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
smoke9 said:
I feel you on those graphic companies BSwift.. what a bunch of lazy "artists".... :laugh:

Yeah I understand and think about what other people have done to get to that position... or what their day may have been like before I arrived at the office and waited 2 hours.... If I didn't take these things into consideration I would have made a scene, left and/or told the doctor how I felt. I didn't do that, I calmly wrapped my wound, went to the pharmacy and got my pain meds... and went home and whined on the computer behind his back...
How did I end up in this discussion?
(see signature)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
XRpredator said:
...either that or he was golfing :rotfl:
Best way to get seen by a doc is to walk on as a single. You'll get paired up with at least one dr for sure.

"Good par! ...btw, I've got this pain...."

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Jaybird said:
Best way to get seen by a doc is to walk on as a single. You'll get paired up with at least one dr for sure.

"Good par! ...btw, I've got this pain...."
Good thinking there Jaybird :cool:

When Spider got hurt in Colorado a couple weeks ago he first went to the Ski resort medical center where they Xrayed him and later when the Dr came in and informed him he broke his arm Spider responded (heavily under the influence of morphine by now) by waving his arm with the hand swinging freely and answerring "I figured that out myself"

When he went on to the hospital he was told he would be in surgery by 4 PM (it was 1PM). At 4pm they told him a short delay and surgery would be about 6PM. This went on until finally around 11PM he called us and told us they now said sometime the next morning and we should go to bed. As I was leaving at 5:30AM for work the phone rang and it was his nurse calling to say they were just prepping him for surgery. I wasn't real happy about the delays until later we found out the surgeon was doing 2 even more severe operations that came in and since Spider was comfortably medicated he had to wait it out. I guess my biggest concern was a surgeon doing his operation after already being in surgery for over 12 hours on 2 or 3 other cases but in the end our Ortho back here said it looked like he did an excellent job.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I saw a physical therapist once to rehab a broken wrist. third visit, She had three calls from her son within the 20 minute session asking the same thing is it snowing there its snowing here? While Im sitting there. Also, I was 15 min early for that visit but someone who was actually scheduled after me came in early right before I got there and she saw him first. I said my time is very important to me and I cant deal with this lack of courtesy. I cancelled my remaining appointments and told my ortho Doc about my experience. The kicker, there was a big sign at the front door "Please Turn off Cell Phones"!!! Another one, A buddy of mine was going to my same Dentist and he called to cancel about a week before his appointment. About a week later he got a registered letter dropping him as a patient.... Whoa!

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Some lessons learned through interaction with the juggernaut that is our medical profession:

1. Always show up late to any appointment you have with an M.D. - the later the better. Increase your tardiness each visit until they say your too late to be seen, then back it up 5 min. next time and that's the sweet spot - no more waiting. Laugh loudly when told you still have to pay even though the doctor won't see you.

2. If you write "I was on time, where were you?" with your key on the Porsche parked by itself behind the Dr. office - you still probably won't be seen on time but he may install a camera behind the building.

3. Always check your medicine at the pharmacy in front of the pharmacist. Check for non-name brand substitutions, proper pricing and insurance information, number of refills and count each pill out loud before you pay the cashier. When you find an error (and you will) let them have it big time.

4. Never go to a woman doctor - ever.

5. Some doctors really do deserve their fee.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
bsmith said:
Also, Maybe you should try going to school/training for 10-12 extra years, pay off huge student loans, work weekends, nights, do your rounds at 6 so you can be to the office by 8 so you're not late, pay payroll for 2 admins, 2 nurses, and 1 PA, buy new equipment all the time, pay hospital fees, cleaning fees, disposal fees, and probably the worst is the Malpractice Insurance.
I know 3 Dr's now who have declared bankruptcy due to the malpractice Insurance (straw that broke the camels back). Maybe not a fair comparision, because WA state has the highest percentage of malpractice lawsuits.

Are you honestly trying to get sympathy for doctors? ahahhahahaha. They go to school for an extra 4 years, not 10-12. Sure they can have some high student loans but with the average salary for a doctor in the 150k-500k range I think they can afford the loan payback.

I'm sorry if the doctors you know have poor money management skills and went bankrupt. I sure would love to have the burdon of having to scrape by on a paltry 12k/month paycheck just for telling patients what they already know. :nener:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
mkelly04 said:
Are you honestly trying to get sympathy for doctors? ahahhahahaha. They go to school for an extra 4 years, not 10-12.

Don't forget the internship and residency requirements they have to go through, which counts as "on-the-job training" for doctors. Granted they DO get paid for these stints, but not nearly as much and they get worked a lot harder than most in the process.

Top Bottom