Does AMA determine your race number?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I raced outlaw all last year and am planning to get my AMA membership in a couple weeks. I just got a new FLU designs graphics kit and I plan to apply it over the weekend.

I've been running number 11 and have never really had a problem with number conflicts.

Does the AMA tell you which number to run? I always heard the last three digits of the AMA number were your number. Is that the case, and is it required to run the last three?

I don't want to buy and apply "11" or whatever and then have to change it in less than a month.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Not the last AMA race we attended, although you could have a numbering conflict with another rider. You should be OK running the 11, but it would be a good idea to carry some electrical tape in case you have to adjust it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Each district assigns numbers differently. In Dist 16 we get to choose a number and once you get it it is yours to keep as long as you stay in that class and beat the deadline of Feb 1st to renew it each year.
When Spider started out he wanted 35 (wish I could remember why) and sent in for it. He got lucky and ran it for 85Jr then again for 85 Sr. When he moved into 125Jr he got lucky because the guy that had it was planning to move up a class mid season so he signed it over to Spider. Then we got lucky with 125B, 250B, and Sportsmans that 35 was open the first season so he grabbed it and kept it for those classes. A couple seasons ago another kid was running 35 but when we were at the track with him he had to X his number since Spider owned it.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks for the replies, guys.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I live on the Ohio Riveron the Ohio/WV border, and want to race in District 5 and District 11.

I just emailed both Districts for clarification.

I think I'll switch to "144". I guess I could always add "cc" after the 144 if there's a conflict. ;)

I used "11" last year because it had been my soccer number, but I think I'll move on . . .

Top Bottom