does anybody make a high comp crf piston

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
You can get a Wiseco piston that is higher than stock or you can put an OEM 04 piston in it that has more compression.

I am not sure of the pro's and con's of either but I know they are available.

Ivan

crwtf?

Jan 4, 2004
changing the piston has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Higher compression can lead to more power and a rippin motor, but can also lead to pinging/detonation (especially with lower octane fuels), jetting problems, overheating problems, and more than likely you will need to change your timing. You might consider having head modifications done and blueprinting the motor. These are spendy options, I know, but they last (unlike the piston that is good for an alleged 15 hours) and always make power. These options also create a smoother, more reliable, more effiecient, more powerful motor and should always be considered when racing. Pretty much anything that you can do to a car motor, you can do to your bike motor. If you want more power, get an exhaust, drop a tooth on the rear sprocket, or go supernuts and get a bigbore kit. These are cost effective too, sort of. Just my $0.02

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The CRF combustion chamber design can easily tolerate compression ratios near 14:1 without running into reliability or major octane issues.

Last edited:

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
hey guys thanks for all the replys, so are you saying that i might get a small performance gain by running a wiesco piston, or a 04crf piston?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
From my understanding yes. However, we can tell you for sure come spring.

I am putting an 04 piston in my 03 CRF450 and Gomer is putting the wiseco in his 03 CRF450.

We should be able to give you better answers after they are done.

Ivan

Top Bottom