JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Hi all,

I bought a new bike for this year (yzf250) and I'm in the process of getting it wood ready and the way I like it ;)

I've always run WER steering dampers in the past and they work great but I find them to be a little ugly and I hate chopping up a perfectly good front plate. I am very interested in the RTT damper because of its out of the way mounting and adjust on the fly controls. Has anyone used one of these? How does it compare to a Scotts or WER damper?

The only problem I see with the RTT design is that I have to make a decision on whether to run 7/8" or 1 1/8 bars and stick with it!

Thanks in advance

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Is that the flush mounted one?

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
I guess you could call it flush mounted... integrated with the top 3clamp.

I checked out their website and it looks like an awesome product to me. I was hoping some folks here were using it so I could get some opinions.

thanks for the replies

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Dirtrider did a review on this dampner two issues ago, they liked the dampner and reported it worked as well as others, I know we must take those with a grain of salt but...The other downfall to the RTT is it is bike/model specific, so you can't buy one on your yzf and interchange with another bike brand in the future, or if the triple clamps change on the yzf and you buy the new version you are again out of luck. For now the company would make you buy a new unit.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Pat(KCHusky) has one on his 03'525EXC, I have ridden w/it back to back on an identical 03'525 w/a Scotts unit. Point blank, they both do what they are supposed to do. I will give RTT credit for stepping up w/the design principle and allowing for quick and easy adjustment via the thumb operated lever near the left grip. We rode a nice woods section that emptied us into a plowed,ripped bean field. Coolest thing, selecting the lighter setting while tossing the bars back and forth in the woods then as soon as you hit the gnarly field, flick the lever and the bars were solid, very confidence inspiring to make such quick adjustments right there w/o lifting your hand from the grips/bars and reach for a small knob. Pat is very happy w/his and from the time I spent on it, worked very well, and I had high confidence with it. The cables that run to the remote switch are tucked nicely and tough!
2 thumbs up from this guy!!

BTW, price was very similar to the "package" that scotts and GPR are offering.

Last edited:

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the input! About the bike specific issue: I'm heading to the RTT site later to make sure of this but I think I read that if you buy a new/different bike, you can send the damper to RTT and they'll do what's required to make the damper fit the new bike (change 3clamp I suppose) for 50% of retail. This is still a lot of money but 1/2 the price of buying a new one helps a bit ;)

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
A guy at a local enduro had one on his TM. That is one trick piece of hardware! I'd get it if they made one for my bike. The best part is the thumb selector - it was a 3 position set-up: 1. light damping, 2. off (no damping), and 3. Hard damping (really stiff). Really impressive and worked great.

Pros:
Real on the fly switching.
I like the fact that I could remove my scott's & run a barpad (safer).

Cons:
If you run an enduro computer w/ a thumbswitch, real estate on the clutch side of the bars becomes an issue. The guy at the enduro ran his computer thumbswitch upside-down on the throttle side.
Support?

Top Bottom