Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
So suppose you are out riding the trails, let's say on a WR250R, and you come across a wide and possibly deep puddle in the trail.

Sure you could go around it but wouldn't it be more fun to go through it?

If the bike is at normal operating temps is there a danger of cracking anything when the cold water comes into contact with the hot engine?

Can you crack the block or anything like that?

Will

digifox

May 25, 2006
i would think not....Trail/enduro bikes where made for that kind of stuff....
Look up "dirt bike" and "river" on youtube...watch some of those

EDIT:
Oh yea and its never hurt my KD, i ran through water that covered the whole bottom end after riding for about an hour and it didn't hurt it...lots of steam but no damage :nod:
it was hot enough that it was burning the mud :rotfl:

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
Nah, water won't hurt it. I'm pretty sure the old "hot engine + cold water = cracked case" is an urban legend. I've been doin' this for 42+ years and never saw it happen to any bike.

Apr 30, 2007
It happened to a friend's pickup once (cracked something pretty vital and it rather quickly drained the oil)...but...I've never heard of it happening to a dirtbike (yet). And it was a half water, half iced over puddle.

Ah...just don't let it get too deep... Sucking water is not such a good thing for your bike.

Apr 30, 2007
It's well worth it, and very fun!

Mud is one of my favorite racing conditions, and playing in the mud is how I won my first race!

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ahahah. I love how you start this off. So lets just say... it sounds like you have already done it and are askin if you screwed up. :laugh: but thats just my opinion. anyway back on topic ive already done this multiple times with my 125 and so far nothing bad has happened.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
"Dirt" bike does not mean it is impervious to dirt and water related wear and tear though. Water, mud, and sand are extra brutal on bikes. Keep you pivot points and bearings clean and well greased... it's cheap, all it costs is some brake/contact cleaner, a tub of grease, some spray lube, and your labor. Or pay the big bucks later on for avoiding it.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
The real trick, is to not dawdle around in the stuff....front end up, hit 'er hard and make that crap flee in terror. When your friends start callin' you "Moses", you'll know you've got it right. ;)

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
kschilk said:
Nah, water won't hurt it. I'm pretty sure the old "hot engine + cold water = cracked case" is an urban legend. I've been doin' this for 42+ years and never saw it happen to any bike.

Actually....... back in 1985, on a warm up lap at a Hare Scramble, we went through a a river crossing. It was about 8 inches deep. My buddy made it across and then his bike (85 IT200) just died. Look down and the left side of his cylinder near the bottom was cracked open. You could see the piston inside. Didn't hurt the cases, and the piston was still good. That one was a weird one..........................................

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Usually, except for Mully's friend, it only gets to be an issue over the top of the airbox and if it gets into the exhaust pipe. At that point I would not recomend trying to start it until it gets torn apart and inspected. I guess air cooled bikes would have more of an issue than water cooled. Who ever heard of going around a mud hole? Get back, wfo, and keep the frontend light. You never seen the crazier than me guys skimming across lakes?

georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
you probably won't crack anything by just going through a mudhole, but if you clean your bike right after you ride it, and it's still hot, you might crack the heads. That goes for anything. (when you rapidly cool hot metal, it cracks!)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom