Does FMF torque pipe smooth out the hit?

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I have a '95 KDX200 with the stock pipe and TC 1 spark arrestor. It still is a little "pipey", with a strong hit in the middle that makes it hard to ride in tight uphill situations. Will the K35 pipe soften the hit a little, compared either to my current setup or with the stock spark arrestor?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm not sure how it is on the new generation KDX but on my '93 the FMF pipe incresed the power over the entire powerband tremendously. If the bike is too "pipey" with the stock pipe then you might want to stick with it, any aftermarket pipe for a KDX will make the bike come alive in a big way.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Hi Toby,

There’s more to smoothing out the hit than just pipe selection. Jetting and ignition timing also have a big effect. Yes either the torque pipe or rev pipe will make your bike hit a little harder when it comes on the pipe but you can minimize the hit. Good needle selection can smoothen the transition if you’re willing to do some experimentation. You can also play with the ignition timing a little. Check out http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php&threadid=14655 for more details.

What jetting are you presently running?

David

TobyS

May 1, 2000
Dave,
My jetting is all stock, per the manual, except the needle had a slightly different designation on the last 1 or 2 digits. I forget which, and I didn't write it down. At the time I checked, I think I dismissed the digits as being irrelevant. I don't think they were mentioned in theJust KDX jetting thread. Anyway, I'll get back with that info ASAP.
My bike was set up for desert, with a PC pipe originally. I suspect that the head may have been machined, because it gets a slight knock if I let my gas get a little stale.
I'm at sea level. What would the best starting point be for jetting, and which would be a good direction to head with the needle, if that's appropriate? The link you left doesn't get me anywhere, maybe its gone. I will read up on your blurb about jetting as well.

Top Bottom