Does the brake pads need the fiberglass insulator?please help!!

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
I got new brake pads for my 04 cr125 and it says not to use the original shims or insulator.But I put the pads on without the insulator,because they wouldn't fit.They fit on the pads but couldn't slide both pads on.too thick.But i've put the pads on with the stock shims and it seems to be fine,but was just wondering if it would mess up the pad without the fiberglass piece (insulator).please help.....

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Some pads are designed to run hotter and wont give the best performance without the insulator. It may also cause the caliper to run hot. Will you really notice any differences? Probably not. If you couldn't get the pads over the rotor with the insulator installed, you probably didn't push the piston far enough back into the caliper.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
Some pads are designed to run hotter and wont give the best performance without the insulator. It may also cause the caliper to run hot. Will you really notice any differences? Probably not. If you couldn't get the pads over the rotor with the insulator installed, you probably didn't push the piston far enough back into the caliper.

Some aftermarket pads are quite a bit thicker than the OEM pads. Even with the caliper fully compressed, some won't fit with this shims and/or insulators. :nod:

I had the same issue with a set of aftermarket pads on an '05 DRZ250. Had to actually machine the pad material down to fit in the caliper, even without shim! :whoa: And these pads were not marked as oversize pads per the part number. :coocoo:

Rotor

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I have noticed some are thicker. I bought some EBC ceramic pads for my bike (never again) and they are significantly thicker than OEM pads. But, they say not to use any of the shims/washers on the stock pads.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Yeah they are super thick.I got the insulator and shim on finnaly and the wheel hardly rolls.so im going to just were them down so I can put the insulator on later.Cause I dont no were too get them machined.and dont have any money.I got the EBC 'x' series pads for the rear.

Top Bottom