Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
So I decided on a 2-stroke 125 as my first bike.

I found one today at a race, being sold by a guy that can't ride for a while due to a manged arm.

2000 YZ125
He told me ~5 rides(over the winter) on a completely rebuilt motor: new top end, rebuild bottem end, bearings, connecting rod, etc. Everything built back to stock.

Fork seals were replaced last year

Bike fired up on the first kick, little bit of blue smoke(obviously). Sounded good at idle, and no wierd noises giving it some throttle.

Said he's been running premium fuel(92 octane), and a 40:1 mix ratio. He told me that when he started out with it he was running 32:1, but that he killed the bottem end, so when it was rebuilt(the first time he did it) he switched to 40:1.

The bike is missing the return spring for the kick starter, so you need to reset the kick starter by hand. Also the rear fender is a little busted up on the edges. Looks like the frame could use a spot of paint too.

He wants $3000(Cdn) for the bike, and seem pretty set on the price.

So does this seem like it would be a good buy? The price seem about right smack in the middle of the range I've found (125s seem to be $25-4000).

May 10, 2007
was it him that rebuit the motor or a shop

ask if you can see a reciept too. (i would just ask about it cuz my friend got ripped off by a guy who said he rebuilt the top end and the first time he rode the bike he lost compression and had to rebuild the topend.)

like they said though other than that and the price it sounds good to me

braaap_it

May 13, 2007
I wouldnt pay $3000 for that bike, unsell your really set on it, and since hes set on the price! you can find a WAY better deal elsewere. As for a first bike, a 125 is great to learn on. goodluck

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
Sapper33, my frined just picked up a 2001 CR125 for 2100CND. So i would look for a better deal or offer him 2500.

i bought my 2000 KX125 for $1400 USD's back in Nov. '05, and 125's have lost their resale value by a little since then. dont know how that translats to CAN's, but you should defintely offer him less.

stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
I bought my 01 yz125 in MINT, absolutely unridden perfect condition last summer for $1850 USD (that's $2,048.71 CAD at today's rate).

Considering the age of the bike you're looking at, and its apparent condition (missing part, rebuilds, scratches, etc)...I'd be hard pressed to offer $1800 canadian to be honest.

Doesn't really sound like a solid buy to me.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Sapper33 said:
Said he's been running premium fuel(92 octane), and a 40:1 mix ratio. He told me that when he started out with it he was running 32:1, but that he killed the bottem end, so when it was rebuilt(the first time he did it) he switched to 40:1.

The bike requires premium gas, so that is good. I don't understand the oil mix statement, however. While 40:1 is a reasonable oil mix ratio (That is what I run in my YZ-125) IF you use a good quality synthetic oil it puzzles me why he would have switched to using less oil after a bottom end failure. It seems to me that would be incentive to increase the oil, not decrease it.

Sapper33 said:
The bike is missing the return spring for the kick starter, so you need to reset the kick starter by hand.

Do you mean that when you kick the bike, the start lever stays down such that you have to reach down and lift it back up by hand before you can kick it again? Or do you mean that the lever doesn't rotate back into the "park" position on its own?

If the starter doesn't spring back up so you can kick again (and again, and again....) then its broken and really needs to be fixed. Lifting it up by hand will get old really fast and when you get into a hard starting situation it could make the difference of getting the bike started again or not. Fortunately, it shouldn't be difficult or expensive to change the spring, but I sure wouldn't pay top dollar for a bike that needed repair.

Sapper33 said:
Also the rear fender is a little busted up on the edges. Looks like the frame could use a spot of paint too.

I am not sure what "a little busted up" amounts to, but the fenders can be easily replaced, generally $30 to $40.

A YZ-125 is a great bike but the condition doesn't sound like it is in the best of shape. I can't equate Canadian value so I don't know if that is a good price or not.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
The bike requires premium gas, so that is good. I don't understand the oil mix statement, however. While 40:1 is a reasonable oil mix ratio (That is what I run in my YZ-125) IF you use a good quality synthetic oil it puzzles me why he would have switched to using less oil after a bottom end failure. It seems to me that would be incentive to increase the oil, not decrease it.

Do you mean that when you kick the bike, the start lever stays down such that you have to reach down and lift it back up by hand before you can kick it again? Or do you mean that the lever doesn't rotate back into the "park" position on its own?

If the starter doesn't spring back up so you can kick again (and again, and again....) then its broken and really needs to be fixed. Lifting it up by hand will get old really fast and when you get into a hard starting situation it could make the difference of getting the bike started again or not. Fortunately, it shouldn't be difficult or expensive to change the spring, but I sure wouldn't pay top dollar for a bike that needed repair.

I am not sure what "a little busted up" amounts to, but the fenders can be easily replaced, generally $30 to $40.

A YZ-125 is a great bike but the condition doesn't sound like it is in the best of shape. I can't equate Canadian value so I don't know if that is a good price or not

you can get a rear fender for $20 at CycleGear( at least where i live). the above poster pointed out that its probably not the best deal youll find, so i might consider looking for something else.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I'm going to keep looking around (probably need a few more paychecks before I buy anyways). But thanks for the input everyone.

I'm sure you'll shoot me down on this one: but would it be worth it to actually buy a new one?

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
well, I found a "new" one, at a local dealership. Guy in town bought it, and used it mabey a month.

'06 YZ 125, 1 tank of fuel through it, $6500 Cdn. Dealership had an '06 on their floor for $6648

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
the price really depends on where you are. around here, its hard to find a 125(or any MX bike for that matter) so it sells for way more than what it would sell for in southern california where there are lots of dirtbikes. i got a 2002 yz125 for 2900 and that was a great deal. i was looking at an 01 cr125 for 3700.

supply in demand.

Top Bottom