Doesn't Run Right

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
I purchased a 1989 kx80 as basket project. The bike was all apart due to a failure of the a crank bearing. I purchased a new crank, seals bearings and top-end.

Well I got the bike back together and it runs on 1 or 2 kicks. The problem is the bike seems to have no power and does rev out like a small 80 I believe should. Well i want to sell it- but don't want to give someone a bike with major problems. My thoughts is a jetting issue but I was thinking it could be the timing or air leak(bad seal).

the engine doesn't seem to race( zing-zing) it sounds like a tame old pw zinger it just sounds weak....I was hoping that maybe someone could point me in the right direction before i go tearing into the bike.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Did you check the bore to make sure it wasn't worn past spec? New piston and rings won't help the compression if the bore is worn oversize. It could be a jetting problem but I'd make sure the cylinder is right first.

BTW, I applaud you for not wanting to pass of a problem to some unsuspecting buyer :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…