jrodgers

Aug 30, 2001
Hi,

I am new to this forum so I hope it is okay to post this message in the group.

I have a DRZ-400 and I am trying to figure out a way to take me (160lbs) my wife (100lbs) and our dog ( 45 lbs) Trail riding, The trails in question are relatively mellow.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could have the dog ride on the bike? Maybe in a baby back pack on my wife's back??? has aonyone attempted something like this? How would I secure the dog to us and in such a way she couldn't jump off the bike?

Thanks,
Jerry

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jerry. There use to be a guy named John McGowen that had a dog, (actually several dogs), named Cookie. John and Cookie were famous during the 60's and 70's for doing desert races. He attached a piece of carpet on top of his gas tank for Cookie to hang on to. I think they even did Barstow to Vegas together.

For a more modern day dog story, check out TTRGuys post on the Ride/Race report forum. It's the Kennedy Meadows ride fest. Pretty funny stuff.:)

Last edited:

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Not sure who, but one of the ladies here was interested in a building a removable sidecar to carry her dog. Maybe try a search for "sidecar" to see if you can find the post.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
I don't know if you could get him on the bike, but why not train him on how to run next to the bike. Or better yet, go 2 up with the dog and make the wife run.:p Just kidding, there was a post a while ago where someone talked about how their dog would tag along at low speeds.

Welcome to DRN!

Last edited:

jrodgers

Aug 30, 2001
RE: Dogs and Trail Riding.

Hey thanks you guys,

I especially like the idea of making my wife run :) that would be a site. Made me laugh.

Side car is an interseting idea, I'll look for the old post, having the dog running along side would kinda work but the trails I want to go on are in Lake Tahoe, CA and the ride would be 20 or so miles, I am pretty sure the dog would drop dead after about 10-15 miles.

humm, I think we aer going to try and buy one of those baby back pack carries you always see people toting their kids around in, maybe try and see if we can attach her in there somehow.

-Jerry
Also, I noticed there was a reply from a guy who has a DRZ, I just bought mine yesterday after not riding for the past 3 years, I am just getting back into the sport, I would love to hear about how your experiences on the bike, I use to ride an 88 XR 250 - jetted and with a pipe for like 8 years - sold it 3 years ago and now just getting back into it with the DRZ - I hope I haven't bitten off more bike than I can chew....
;)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
jrodgers, I too was interested and packing the ol pooch along with me on some mild/fireroad type rides, so I inquired a while back about the possibility of building a basic side car for my larger dog. She's aprox 70lbs so a carrier type device wouldn't work for her. Like Ol'89r mentioned, TTRGuy rode with our new puppy on his lap for 17 miles last weekend. She's 32lbs and I was thinking of just making a harness type device for her to wear that would strap on to the front of the person wearing it. She could sit on the seat in front but be held secure by the harness. Won't have time to look into it for a while, but let us know if you come up with anything. :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
A harness, eh? Try THIS

I got one to hitch my daughter up to me when she wants a ride. Maybe you could adapt it to a dog . . .:think

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
How about some pop rivets and one of those little plastic dog kennels? Might need some bracing, but I'm sure you could make it work. Any entrepreneurs out their?

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by Roostmaker
While we're at it I think somebody should design some sort of
helmet for dogs! It would be cute AND safe!;)

Ditto!

If you are camping in a tent, leashes or cables work good to secure them to a tree or whatever, just make sure she has water & shade. Those portable kennels work real well too. If you have a motorhome or trailer turn on the air conditioning & lock her in it until you are done. If you are only going for a day ride, leave her at home.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
XRpredator
The picture of the kiddy parachute on the snow mobile made me think that this may not be a good thing to bind two entities together on a moving motorcycle. If you were to fall backwards the rear cargo could get crushed, and then there is the matter of the dog shifting around and throwing off your balance. The dog would have great leverage on you due to his high center of gravity over the bike. This is one of the few times that a quad would be a better platform for this due to four-wheel stability.
Maybe try a small platform or basket over the tank. I think if you run the dog in the beginning of the ride he/she will be more open to the idea of riding when their tongue is dragging after a few miles. I would get the dog part down first before trying all three of you at the same time.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Jerry,
I've had my DRZ S for a little over a year and really like it. It was my first off-road bike and the smooth power is something I really love, especially because I've never ridden a 2 stroke. I don't think the bike is too big or powerful that you should be worried but at the same time it has plenty of power to do any type of trail riding (unless you encounter a triple in the middle of the ride). Have fun and good luck. Check out the discussion area of www.thumpertalk.com to find a ton of specific DRZ info, however just bs-ing and learning about a wide variety of off-road topics DRN is THE place. Have fun!

PS Don't forget the Thumper Central forum here on DRN.

Last edited:

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I take my dogs shooting and camping. However never riding or hang gliding. It is too dangerous for both the dog and the human. And the dog does not have the right safty gear. I love my dogs more than life. I just cannot take the risk.

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
:( I think you'd have to worry about some eco-freak/wanta be good do'r telling you how it's animal crulity to have your dog on a motorcycle...

My dog runs with me on mountain bike rides and sometimes on dirt bike rides (on private property) and she loves it...

Top Bottom