Don't chuck those stock handlebars just yet!!!

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I know tons of people hate the stock handlebars...but...I like 'em and here's why {*as I don my flame suit*}:

Before I realized the stockers on my 98 had solid inserts, I took my pipe cutter and attemted to cut off about 3/4 inch off each side. I realized of course that the solid inserts were not just an optical illusion, but were in fact not going anywhere. Rather than try to get them out, I simply took a punch and a hammer and drove them as deep as I could allowing room for my busters to go in. Once I got the busters mounted, I was still leary of the durability these bars would have. That was then....now almost a year later, and several nasty crashes, I got to thinking about it and these bars have not bent one bit!!! They have lasted longer than any aftermarket bars I've ever had! I'm sure this has to do with a combination of having the bar mounts in rubber bushings, having busters on the bars, and maybe driving the inserts into the bars...what do you guys think? Again, I have my flame suit on...

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I think the barkbusters help a ton. Definitely so in your case. I've had stock bars bend after falling over in a turn after stallling the bike and trying to put my foot down on the low side. I saw a guy bend the bars on his 250f last week when he dropped his bike in a turn doing pretty much the same thing as mine (no forward motion). They suck, but once you've protected them, there's no reason they shouldn't last longer. If you like them, good on you! No shame.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Knox, I had a stock set of bars last for 2 months once when I was a youngster..

That aside, we need to hook up real soon! The Vol Riders have an Enduro coming up, you need to get in on the fun!! I'll give you a call soon.. Have a good one...

Also, I love Renthal 7/8's bars, nice and stiff... The flexy tapers seem spongey to me, but that is probably why I can't ride a lick, lack of common sense and all.....

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Hey RTL...where you been hiding? No matter...this is the best time of the year for this stuff. Gimme a call this week. I've got some new meats on the way and should be here Tuesday. We rode Windrock this week and it is in phenominal shape!!! Or if you like, maybe we can go this next w/e out to Crab Orchard...found a VERY nice area there. Check your email.

Top Bottom