DON'T EVER take me shopping for a bike

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'v been looking for a used bike ( 4stroke ) found two. '97 KTM 400 and a '97 Husky 610 te both very nice and well kept. I couldn't decide between the two so, I bought a '01KTM 520 MXC.

I hate myself but, I love the bike:( :) :cool:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
You da man! Who needs a 4 year old bike, when you can have a new one! I might have an '02 400SX on Friday - We'll see!

Lyle.bell

Aug 14, 2001
Same thing happend to me!!!

Glad to see that I am not the only one this happened to. Went to look at a WR426 and walked away with a 01 KTM MXC 520...

It's still sitting in my garage. I've been told its fast :(

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Must be something going around....sat on a 426 last Friday, trying to convince myself that it was a "good" bike and 2K less than the 520....went down and bought the 520 MXC last Saturday :confused: I've got one quick 30 mile ride on it....Take my word for it....IT'S FAST:eek:

That's TWO KTM's in a month....but I can stop anytime I want...really....but
I might get an SX to replace my aging '00 CR250....must be strong...don't look into the pumkins eyes....put down the checkbook and just walk away:confused:

Last edited:

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
Yes, the 520 is nice and quick. I gave my brother a ride, with the instruction of not to go over half throttle, as it is brand new. He got off shaking. The thing has some low-end grunt, I can't wait to give her a rev:p

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Strick - You're actually gonna sell out?!?!

LOL!!! I'm thinking the same thing as you! I have been having illusions of getting the 400SX too and holding off on the CRF 'til they get the bugs worked out anyway(have to reason with myself). However, and maybe you guys can help.....How do I convince the wife that I need a 400 EXC AND a 400SX. I can hear her already - help!!:scream:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Picked mine up this morning,it's now at home and I'm in the office:( ,I can't wait to go for a ride.

I did learn two things this afternoon;

1) Don't kiss your bike goodbye before you kiss your wife:eek:

2) Don't kiss your bike on the handlebars when its been the the sun for an hour and it's 110 out:scream:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Wait, I'll be right back and tell ya how my first ride went,but right now I have to go back to the field and see if I can find my HEART, OMG this puppy hauls:scream: :scream: :scream: :cool:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
'02 KTM 400SX

It's sitting in my garage!

The 2 biggest reasons, I bought this over the Honda CRF 450r are:
1) Proven bike with upgrades (including cam bearings now sealed with new carrier & bigger forks)
2) Scared of a 1st year bike and its powerband.

There are lots of little reasons like:
- I already ride a bike with the same frame (familiar)
- I know the 400's power is not going to put me where my 380 did (shaking)
- Easy exchange of parts between my 300 & the 400
- I could get it NOW!
With the CRF:
- could not get ANY information regarding primary ratio, or gear ratios
- would really have to upgrade the bike, bars chain, etc.
- Scotts performance hasn't even produced any of the parts for damper setup
- Bigger tank, skid plate, shark fin - Does the Cr250 fit or do I waiit months.
- Uncomforatable with the sales person at the local dealer(aloof).
- NO HYDRAULIC CLUTCH.

The CRF is very impressive in the Nationals. With Mike Larocco on board one it is probably going to be even more impressive. I am not an MX guy. I am looking for lightweight bike (that's one reason why SX vs. MXC), and not shoulder separating power. I also require a good bottom end! I have read everything I can put in front of me on the CRF. If you want a 4-stroke MXer, and can live with the uncertainty of a 1st year bike. I would buy the CRF no doubt! What I wanted was an all around 4 stroke bike I can desert race. I like the close ratio trannys, and I did NOT want electric start (weight is an issue here).

Based on what I have given as MY (and only MY opinion) reasoning, you should summize that I have more questions than slams regarding the CRF 450. So doing a Ben Franklin chart, the 400SX won (easily). Once again however, I do NOT race MX!

Last edited:
Top Bottom