JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I tried a search, but the archives must be history? I recently purchased a '99 KDX220, and I'm interested in making it look less like a...well, a KDX.

What's the skinny on cosmetic mods? I would like a MX rear fender, front # plate, cool graphics, maybe black plastics? I could use taller seat foam also.

I've decided to keep it for trail/enduro purposes, and buy a dedicated MX bike for track use. I'd really like a unique bike tho.

How tough is it to polish the swingarm? How about the lower fork legs?

I like the bike and I got it cheap enough to spend some fundage on it, so,... any help out there?

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
i can anwser these questions, first as far as plastics id go with ufo ive had the best luck with them, they have good quality for the money you can get a kx 250 front plate and with some trimming it fits fine also they sell green side panels which are nice cause the white ones are a bear to keep clean, the only bad thing is you have to go with a maier rear style mx fender, they are the only one to make them to fit our bikes, their junk but their the only game in town, as for the polished swingarm it dosent take money it just takes elbow grease, on mine i started with 220 grit wet sandpaper and a hose and sanded then move to 360 grit then to 400 then 600, finish by polishing with mothers mag and a rag until shiney, also did you think about new graphics and seatcover too?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
About the swingarm; at least on my '91,
after removal, I used paint stripper and the paint leapt off in under 5 minutes and was happy to see it looked really good.. just needed washing, rubbing compoind (mothers) then pre-paint cleaner, then clear-coat.
Maybe you'll get lucky and not need to sand too.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Thanks for the replies. I noticed that ratmloud has a vented front # plate. That's the look I want. What year/model should I look for?

Maier is the only game in town? I hate that, coz their stuff looks like recycled milk jug plastic. Are there any KX fenders that can be modified to fit?

That's cool about the swingarm. I was afraid it would be a rough piece underneath the paint. Time to break out the sisal buffs and rouge!:cool:

There are some pretty cool graphics out there, but I want to get away from the green stuff. It looks OK, but I want something different. Anything available in different colors?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You’ll want to look for 1996 or newer vented KX number plate. It’ll take a little time to make it fit but its not a big job by any stretch of the imagination.

Acerbis and UFO both made black plastic for the KDX at one time. I haven’t seen it advertised for years though so I expect its discontinued. You can get a black KX front fender ( they are the same as the KDX fender) and a black Maier MX rear fender.

You won’t find another fender that fits any where near as well as the Maier MX rear fender. There isn’t a KX fender that matches the profile of the KDX. I’m sure you could mount one up but don’t expect the transition between the seat/ side panels and fender to look very clean.

David

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Thanks Dave! I've never spent any time in here, even though I'm a two-time KDX'er.
I didn't know what i was missing. I might have kept my'00 200 if I'd checked out the forum.

I'll post some pics if/when I get it together.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
you might still have luck with finding black plastic at http://www.mxsouth.com
I tried a while back to get all black plastic for my '93 and ran out of cash after I bought the fender, but also available were an enduro rear fender and rad shrouds and side panels all made by UFO.

Top Bottom