new kidd

Dec 3, 2001
Whats the best DOT tire for off road use? I ride a DR650 with kenda K760 Trak Master II's. After trying to ride off road with those stock bridgestones these tires seem like the greatest thing in the world. Has anyone tried the pirelli MT21's? Before going to the kenda knobby I tried the Dunlop D604 radial 80% street-20% dirt. They are super smooth and sticky on the street. I could ride off road ok except for the mud and I had no breaking ability. Whats your favorate? Later Mike

lobotomy

May 8, 2001
That Kenda is a great tire for the price. It's been a few years since I dual sported, but I recall mine did much better in the dirt than on the pavement. Probably just the opposite of your Dunlop 604. Hope this helps.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I have had MT21s for years. My only complaint is that the front washes out in turns off-road. There are many other dirt fronts that are DOT approved tha may be better like a MT44. Onroad they are good for a knobby and will last if only doing short commuting trips. They are said to wear faster than the Kendas on the highway.

new kidd

Dec 3, 2001
Thanks tiger. I do wash out the front once in a while. But thats usually happens when I get back into the power too soon or have my wieght too far back. I did get over 2000 miles on the rear kenda doing a lot of street riding. Later Mike.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
My DR350 had Kenda Track-Masters on it when I bought it, and I thought they worked really well. My friend had them too and then went to Pirelli's most dirt-worthy DOT tire but hated them. I also couldn't believe that the Kenda's were really approved by DOT, they were as aggressively knobby as any dirt tire I've seen.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The Metzeler Unicross front is DOT approved, and is a full blow dirt knobbie with decent all around peformance.

Food for thought: DOT approval is a matter of submitting a tire to DOT and passing tests. Just because a manufacturer does not submit a tire (for costs and liability reasons?) does not mean it would not pass.

If you want good dirt performance and long life, and are not worried about DOT approval and the police inspecting your bike, the Michelin M12 makes an excellent full knobbie dual sport tire, IMO.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I've been getting 'reasonable' wear from D756s on my street legal WR400. For a bike that only sees pavement when it has to the 756s work well. I know a couple of people running M12s or MT44s on the front and they seem to hold up well.

I wouldn't use these tires on a 'commuter' dual sport though - just too expensive.

Brian

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I forgot to mention one thing about the MT21s. Stay away from mud! I have crashed because my front slid around so bad (and the mud was just on the surface, not deep). Loam and hard pack conditions worked well.

new kidd

Dec 3, 2001
Thanks everyone :D. It's good to find this stuff out with out having to buy'em to try'em. I like the kendas but it can get tricky to make the 325lb. DR to stick or stop :eek: Later.

Top Bottom