Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Photos help

Thats a reason I like to add a photo, because you can see what we are talking about (ok typing about).

Most of my learning has been through seeing then trying. Once I see it done and I really want to do it,it seemed to be easier.

I feel that sometimes I want to talk people out of the Knarly stuff but then I think of when i wanted to do it (I did not wana here no crap). So I figure if we can help by telling them the safest way of doing it and proper form then we are doing our part to help out.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
down, down, down

I seriously put my attention on downhills this weekend. I kept in mind everything that I had read on this thread. I put my weight back as far as possible, kept my attention on the bottom of the hill and stayed in third gear. I noticed that I was carrying more speed, but it felt really good;) and all I had to do was have fun. I felt myself getting all worked up in the ride down to hollister about going down hill. I was already white knuckling the handlebars. I ended up having a super blast and I'm going riding up to middle creek this weekend and actually look forward to some downhills. Thanks to all who offered advice; it's very appreciated!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
All this stuff works great until you get an inch and a half thick branch in your spokes like I did a week ago! Amazing how fast the ground comes up then!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Fe Princess,
I think it's trail 6 (on the east side of the riding area off by itself) that has a really good downhill section. Trail 38/Willow Creek also has a pretty good downhill into the creek bed.

Valley Trail Riders are supposed to be up at Middle Creek this weekend so you'll probably have some company. I may try to get up there on Sunday with the wife.

Brian

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
middlecreek

I'm going up Sat. just for the day though. 38 is a must and good downhills, especially into the ravine. Have fun on Sun. Maybe we could all meet up sometime soon, denise:)

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I'm goin' down now.

After my triumph with the down hills this weekend, I realize that all technique is intrisincally tied together. I used to assume that if I could just strengthen my weak points, I would be less afraid of the hard stuff. But the better I ride, the harder it becomes because I'm going faster. I try to see the trail as one long, hard(but fun:o ) ride. It's amazing to feel the flow of myself into the bike. I'm so loving my ktm that I had to let the world know...:p

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Sorry I'm late to this party...but since the "Lord" desided to disrespect me in public....

Sir, I was trying to help a beginner out. I've been ridding an working on dirt bikes for over 30 years. I think deserve better treatment. I think I covered the issues due to lack of lube and over reving the motor. In the future, you might try a P.M.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Wild Hare
I think deserve better treatment

Maybe we should put it to a vote :silly:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Sorry I'm late to this party...but since the "Lord" desided to disrespect me in public....

First, I'm not "the" Lord, merely "a" Lord (and a fat, slow one at that!)

How was
You're right, it's just which someone that's not clear.
any more disrespectful than
"Someone" doesn't know what they are talking about.

Sir, I was trying to help a beginner out. I've been ridding an working on dirt bikes for over 30 years. I think deserve better treatment.
Anyone who posts incorrect information will likely get called on it. That goes for you, me, Rich (especially Rich)...anyone. It's not a personal thing, it's a matter of trying to maintain accuracy on the technical matter discussed.

I think I covered the issues due to lack of lube and over reving the motor. In the future, you might try a P.M.
You posted incorrect information in a public forum. If I had privately sent you a message, others might have been similarly misinformed.

I also chose to give you this explanation here so that others might learn from it.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Hare Hare now

Play nice,

Vote ....do you really want to know ?

Just because he had incorrect info, that does not make him an a-hole and I do not think he should be treated like one.

here here ...pick on me, I can take it !!!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: Hare Hare now

Originally posted by Yamamoto
Just because he had incorrect info, that does not make him an a-hole and I do not think he should be treated like one.

When you lead your bad info with

"Someone" doesn't know what they are talking about.

you kind of open yourself up to a less than tolerant response in return.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
But Rich sir

Gomer explained why he was wrong and I think that was hard enough, just being wrong sucks.

I feel the correction was well needed.

Rich quote,

you kind of open yourself up to a less than tolerant response in return.

Yes Sir, I understand that he asked for it. Thank you for pointing that out!

I guess I can have the butt hat now right?

bud

Jun 29, 1999
While we're talking about it...:)

I was told that a bike could sieze this way only if it's jetted too lean, and/or engine braking with closed throttle and high revs for long periods, ie very long, steep downhill with no braking. Is this right?

If that's right, which carb circuit would need to be too lean? I can think of reasons why it could be any, or all :).

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I usually ride a gear high on downhills, and just rely on the brakes and a bit of clutch to keep it from stalling, and to make sure the rear wheel doesn't lock up.

The mechanic who was telling me about this said he had a bike sieze when its rider let off the throttle on a flat stretch of blacktop. He said that was caused by a lean main jet. Sound right?

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Hey Bud, I'm really focusing on my downhills now. They are my achilles heal!:( I usually slow down a lot for hills, like into 1st gear, and stay on the brakes.
I started to notice that my drastic slow down was squarely proportional to interruption of my riding flow. I was fighting the bike instead of riding it.
I put it in 3rd gear, sat as far back as possible and made a conscious effort not to grab the break. Fear is my worst foe. I just told myself that I was always going to have fear(I mean isn't that why I'm out here):o If I didn't like being scared, I wouldn't ride a dirt bike. I agreed with my fear and used it as an asset. No one ever overcomes fear; you just go to another level of it...:p

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
That's one of the things that makes dirtbike riding so satisfying-being able to overcome that next obstacle-to push fear aside and accomplish the next goal.
BTW, I find that if I look at the downhill in my mind as if I'm on flat ground, I've got a better handle on the fear factor, and can concentrate on just pushing ahead. (Yes, you still have to allow for gravity!):cool:

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
fear

ktm boy, the fear I was referring to was just that it's an intangleble. Blanket fear will always be there. I don't believe we overcome it, yet we become in agreement with it and no longer fight it.:think

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by bud
I was told that a bike could sieze this way only if it's jetted too lean, and/or engine braking with closed throttle and high revs for long periods, ie very long, steep downhill with no braking. Is this right?
Yep, my understanding is that either condition (being too lean anywhere, but especially on the main if you run there, or prolonged high rpm coasting with no throttle opening) can cause problems.
If that's right, which carb circuit would need to be too lean?
You could have the carb jetted perfectly, or even too rich, and you could cause problems with high rpm coasting without allowing any gas and oil to get to the engine.
he had a bike sieze when its rider let off the throttle on a flat stretch of blacktop. He said that was caused by a lean main jet. Sound right?
Not to me, but I'm not a mechanic...I'm an idiot with a keyboard and several bikes in various stages of disrepair in the garage. If you fully let off the throttle and coast, the carb is pulling fuel from the idle circuit and is only (significantly) affected by the pilot jet, the air screw, and the slide cutaway. The main jet won't really come into play until you reach more open throttle settings.

It's a common misconception that the main jet affects high rpm behavior. It doesn't, it affects high throttle positions.

This is really getting too technical for me and this forum. If someone is interested in a better and/or more knowledgeable response, please open a thread in Eric's or Rich's forum about the effects of coasting with a 2 stroke.

If someone finds an error in the technical descriptions I've posted, please explain it here so that we may all be enlightened (and I'll make sure it gets appended to the new topic).

Top Bottom