Scott Perry

May 8, 2001
DR 350 SE Newbie!

I just picked up my new 1994 DR 350 and had a few questions. It's out of the box stock except for the Renthal bars. Any advice from other DR owners how to get the most out of this new beast?

It looks, rides and feels great as-is but I'm thinking the Acerbis tank might be a good idea to stretch the riding range.

Any suggestions or advice to get me off to a good start. I just changed the oil and filter which I figure I should do every 1,000 miles, right?

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I don't own a DR, but have friends who did or do. It's very "beginner friendly" albeit a bit heavy in the stock condition. An aftermarket plastic tank from Acerbis, Clarke or IMS will shed some pounds and extend the range. Many riders remove the license/light bracket from the rear fender and mount the plate on top of the rear fender behind the tail light. Several companies offer aftermarket exhaust systems for the DR, but they offer no performance improvement over the stock system outside of shedding two pounds and sounding obnoxiously loud. Contact Thumper Racing in Marshall, TX (area code 903). They offer performance items for the DR. Look into having the suspension upgraded before boosting horsepower.

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
Cut the top of the airbox off with a dremel tool. Put in a little bigger main jet and add a Disc type exhaust system. These are the best improvements for the money. I had a DR for 6 years until I Dual Sported a WR400.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i own a 91 dr-350 and i would change the oil and filter at least every 4 or 5 rides, apon doing so check the valves also. i agree w/ tree get a disk exhaust and an over sized header pipe for it. i don't know so much about jetting it because i have a mega max spark arrestor and an thumper racing oversized header and i haven't changed my jetting at all. let me know about the air box thing if u do it.

Scott Perry

May 8, 2001
Great Advice!

Great advice guys, I appreciate it. I plan on getting the bigger Acerbis tank and changing the oil somewhat frequently. Every 4 or 5 rides seems like a lot but there must be a reason so I won't question it.

I've had a chance to off-road a bit and I really lie the feel of this bike. Plenty of power for me and the suspension seems fine.

Heck, I might just leave it the way it is and enjoy it!

Thanks again,

Scott

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
the reason for having to change the oil so frequently is because the oil for the motor is the same for the clutches, and all the shavings from the clutch is going through the engine, that and where the engine is air-cooled it helps the engine stay cooler in tight woods. hope i was a help

Last edited:

Scott Perry

May 8, 2001
Never Knew

I wouldn't have put that together myself. Makes perfect sense now. Should the filter be changed at every oil change or every other?

Thanks,

Scott

Top Bottom