Dragging and slipping clutch on RM125

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
Rm125 oil type

i have a 99rm125. I have recently replaced my hub and basket due to clutch drag. I noticed some drag through corners when disengaging it. It seems like when out of the corner it wants to engage but doesnt engage fully until at high speed. What crankcase oil do you suggest using. And how much freeplay should i have. Also i broke my lever and need a new one should i get a stock perch and lever or aftermarket.
thanks

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
i am using polaris predator wet clutch oil, i have gear saver ready to put in. I want to know what rm125 owners are using, and how much play should be in the clutch.
apreciate any help

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
dragging/slipping

hey rich, or anyone
i have a 99 rm125 i had a severe case of dragging in the past so i replaced the hub and basket, and seemed to clear it up. Recently it acted up again. So i replaced the lever and perch, how should i adjust this properly to have no slippage or draggage. I noticed a slight drag out of the corner and slippage until i got in the higher speeds. Is it most likely to be my shify release lever is worn which is cuase drag, and the play is incorrectly adjusted which caused the slippage. What type of oil should i be running,(you used atf in your 150), should i run ATF type F, if so what brand. I am running Polaris Predator wet clutch oil. Also how should i adjust the clutch for no slippage or dragging.
apreciate any help

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
dragging/slipping

dragging/slipping
hey rich, or anyone
i have a 99 rm125 i had a severe case of dragging in the past so i replaced the hub and basket, and seemed to clear it up. Recently it acted up again. So i replaced the lever and perch, how should i adjust this properly to have no slippage or draggage. I noticed a slight drag out of the corner and slippage until i got in the higher speeds. Is it most likely to be my shify release lever is worn which is cuase drag, and the play is incorrectly adjusted which caused the slippage. What type of oil should i be running,(you used atf in your 150), should i run ATF type F, if so what brand. I am running Polaris Predator wet clutch oil. Also how should i adjust the clutch for no slippage or dragging.
apreciate any help

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
ATF what Brand?

i got a 99rm125, and was wondering what rm users are running in there gear box. Also when i do try my emilination process on the oil, what should i look for in the oil change. Out of these oils which do you prefer. Also what brand of ATF are you using
Mobil 1 15/50
Maxima MTL 80W
ATF type F
ATF dexron
bel ray gear saver

apreciate all help!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I always run maxima or belray 80 weight or honda HP aka belray. ATF sucked not only did it expand more and make me think I had blown my gaskets it burns up way faster I will never run ATF again. If you do run ATF you should run Type F but I don't recommend it, use at your own risk.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You should look for smooth shifting, low drag, and smooth clutch action.

MXP1MP, I have never had the ATF "Expand" more than other oils, care to explain? How long did you have the ATF in before it burned?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I use Canadian Tire Motomaster brand Type F ATF in my sons KX80, this is changed EVERY ride. In my old RM125 I use the cheapest 10-40 I can find and change it every ride as well.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
When I had my 99 rm125 I used the Honda HP trans oil (red bottle). I found it the best for ease of shifting. It shifted so well that I had a very hard time finding neutral. $4.25 a qt. isn't too bad, either. I changed it every 2-3 rides.

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
metal particles in oil!

my local atv dealer suggested to use Polaris PS-4 in my bike. I didnt know better what to use. When i changed it today i noticed shiny metal(size of salt) pieces all over in my oil. So i put Gear saver 80Wt. in. Should i keep using this or will it give me the same problem, or should i run M1 15/50, or atf type f.
apreciate any help

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
ATF just a little too light for my taste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom