sixds

Mar 25, 2007
I went to change my oil today and the bolt was really hard to get off.. like.. much more than the 14ft lbs I torqued it to last time. but i got it off and drained the oil. Then when i went to put the drain bolt back in it wouldn't start to thread in. I looked in the hole and some of the threads had just broken off. i got most of them out but some are still in there.

So my question is, should i get a helicoil put in or do i tap out the hole to the next size and get a bigger bolt? I know with the helicoil the threads will be stronger than before and it probably wont happen again, but we already have a tap set and a bolt for it wont cost that much.

And last, what can I do so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
sixds said:
I went to change my oil today and the bolt was really hard to get off.. like.. much more than the 14ft lbs I torqued it to last time. but i got it off and drained the oil. Then when i went to put the drain bolt back in it wouldn't start to thread in. I looked in the hole and some of the threads had just broken off. i got most of them out but some are still in there.

So my question is, should i get a helicoil put in or do i tap out the hole to the next size and get a bigger bolt? I know with the helicoil the threads will be stronger than before and it probably wont happen again, but we already have a tap set and a bolt for it wont cost that much.

And last, what can I do so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks

are you sure it's not already been heli-coiling and its stripping out/breaking? this was actually just discussed, do a search for it. there was some good advice.

Top Bottom