mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for (I can never seem to get the phrases right for this search engine). My '09 KX450F manual says to store the bike with a fuel preservative (stabil) if it is going to sit for a while. On my two stroke, I would drain the carb if it was going to sit for a week or two. I am guessing you can't drain because the FI system is pressurized but I am curious- do you put some Stabil in the fuel as routine maintenance when you ride so its in the fuel system when you shut the bike off? What do you do if you are not going to ride for a couple of weeks to a month? Are there any other storage tips for FI bikes? One last question- is it necessary to store the bike at top dead center? Thanks!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
To run it out just start it with the petcock off and wait fot it to die. I wouldn't add stabilizer unless it's going sit more than a month, just don't leave alot of gas in the tank so you can fill it with a large quantity of fresh fuel when you go to ride it. I store mine at TDC, not sure if it really helps anything?

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
unless i am a complete idiot i don't believe mine has a petcock.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
mojonito said:
One last question- is it necessary to store the bike at top dead center? Thanks!

When the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke, all valves are closed. This prevents dirt and moisture from getting in the cylinder. IMO, it's a good idea to put your engine on TDC even while hauling your bike

Top Bottom