Drain oil to install flywheel weight?

bocataking

Aug 30, 2005
So. . . this will be the first sort of repair/modification I try to make to my bike on my own, and it might be a stupid question, but better to blush a little now than end up with oil all over my friend's garage floor.

I will be installing a 10oz flywheel weight on my '96 CR250 this weekend and was wondering if I have to drain the oil out of the bike to do so - or could I just lay the bike on its side? I have always just assumed that there was oil on the other side of that cover, but being completely ignorant of motors, i could be wrong.
I have read the other threads about the actual installation but no one mentioned draining the oil so either its not an issue or its so elementary that no one needs include it. Which is it?

Thanks for your help.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
What MX meant to say was....There is no oil on the flywheel side of the case. Good luck. do you have a manual? If you don't, get one.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
might i go out on a limb and say you should enlist the help of a knowledgable helper for this - not a big deal but I'd want to make sure you torque the bolt or weight (depending on the application) correctly.

bocataking

Aug 30, 2005
Thanks guys. That is probably a good idea I'll grab the manual from my friend that i know that has one and enlist his help.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Also remember that if there is any liquid behind that cover then either the cover leaks, or the left side crank seal is toast. If you find gas under there then you better replace the seal.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
Don't forget to use blue loctite on that flywheel weight, and that the threads are probably left hand threads, meaning reverse. I'm not familiar with how the weight is mounted, but I've heard plenty of horror storys of how weights came off, loctite em'

bocataking

Aug 30, 2005
Does anyone else think loctite is a good idea? The manufacturer's instructions say specifically NOT to use loctite when installing the weight.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
I would follow those instructions. those threads are pretty fine - I would be concerned when/if you ever have to remove it. FYI - I installed mine without it - years later - I went to remove it when I sold the bike - that bad boy didn't come close to coming off - so I left it.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I could be wrong about the loctite. I believe in the stuff myself, not the red death do us part, but the blue milder stuff. just a drop. Now I could be wrong, and If you feel most comfortable with the manafacters reccomendation, go with it. For my own equipment I use it, carefull cleaning is a must when a fastener is removed and has loctitel residue, but I swear by the stuff. I guess it's just a personal preference

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I prolly wouldn't use loctite if the mfg suggested not.

Now, go drain the oil out, and refill it with new after your pal helps you get the weight mounted. :)

bocataking

Aug 30, 2005
Oh Jaybird, Forgive me for my ignorance . . . we all have to start somewhere.

I had the misfortune of growing up in a family where my father could barely tell the difference between a motor and a toaster oven!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I wasn't bagging on you, boca. You need to applogize for nothing.

You'd be surprized how many seasoned dirt bike veterans leave their oil in too long.
I was more making a point directed at them, than you. :)

I grew up with a Dad who used the kitchen for a Harley rework bench, and tried to sleeve an 8N Ford in the middle of a field.
I honestly do not know which would have been worse, your Dad or mine! lol...

bocataking

Aug 30, 2005
Mission Accomplished!

My friend bailed out on me and I tackled the bike on my own, and can I just say how retarded I feel for worrying about putting it on by myself - it was SO EASY - it took like 15 minutes.

I do have one more question. I bought my own torque wrench because I was worried about torquing it on properly and wonder what the risks are of putting the weight on too tightly? (i.e. too much torque)

Thanks for your help guys - - -i feel so empowered - I know it sounds crazy - - but i might even try to change my own tires!

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The only risk of overtorqueing it, are that you could strip the threads, or it may be difficult if you ever want to remove it. If you don't torque it enough, it may come off during operation.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…