motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Hey Jaybird...watch it with the Honda comments...:)

Is the aluminum thick enough allow enough threads to support the load?

As far as the 350 F in your oven at home, I'm not going to say it won't work, but heat treat of aluminum requires tighter temp control than steels and irons (in general). I think between the uneven temps due to lack of forced air circulation, and questionable accuracy of the thermostatic control (this ain't no pizza), the kitchen heat treat would be "hit and miss" at best.:scream:

quite a nice debate over a humble chain guide...

...how about just converting it to a belt drive? Seems to work nicely for harleys, so it must be good!

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I was concerned about so little material to thread the bolts to but there is the third support that is still intact. It survived the Montrose enduro here in Colo. One of the rockiest I have ever run. It just takes that perfect strike though and it will get ripped off.

You like those belts dont you motoboy! :p

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I small thought on this. All of the bolts on my Kawi swingarms have steel threaded pop inserts. If your bolts pull out you may want to look into installing some.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
although I am not an eggineer I minored in physics, and have fabricated several bikes ( I'm an amateur bbr clone). so here it goes. Any professional welder worth their salt would not burn holes in the swingarm, if there is a marine welder nearby try them b/c they work with aluminum on a regular basis, and they are required to have attractive high quality welds. I've hav a couple of cr aluminum frames modified with great sucess (the welding anyhow). I would try this b/c of the chain alignment problem you could have. If the mounts protruded down from the swingarm and wou mount it flush the chain may start to flop b/c the chain may have to rise up to slide over the guide due to the the bottom becoming slack under acceleration. I don't think the holes would caust you any problems unless your name is seth.

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
The welding option may prove costly if you choose it. You will have to pay someone to do the welding and heat treating and you will also have to remove the swing arm from the bike.

You know the outer dimensions of the swing arm and the approximate thickness of the material, do a simple stress analyis of the cross section of the arm with a hole drilled in it and an analyis if the x-section with no hole drilled in it. To simplify the analysis remember the cross section of the arm is symmetrical. If you need more explaination let me know. I did a finite element analyis very similar to this for a mounting tab for an offroad vehicle and compared the results of the simplified analyis with the results gained using ANSYS. Though not 100% accurate, the simplified analysis will give you an idea of what reduction in yeild strength you can expect. :)

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
So far so good with the holes. If the chain guide breaks off or the bolts pull out then I will get it welded. No cracking eithor. I appreatiate all the input.

Top Bottom