mototravis

Sep 26, 2001
My (oil) drain plug is apparently stripped...or worse yet, the threads the plug screws into. :(
I've tried that white thread tape, but it still drips. Any ideas? Do they have self tapping plugs?

It doesn't leak that bad, I can add a 1/4 quart every couple rides, but I'd hate to forget and have metal on metal.

Any ideas would be great.

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
Try these two things:
One. If the plug is definetly stripped, go to your local auto parts store and get a metric time-sert(helicoil, whatever.) set.They should have a self tapping set. Follow the instructions carefully and after you put the insert in plug the bike, run some fresh oil in it lung enough to warm it up, then flush it immedeatly.
Two. If the plug and hole are NOT stripped pick up some crush washers. I got some from my local honda dealer. They are normally used on street bikes. Get the 14 mil. size.
I've done one of each of these on at least three of my bikes and none of them have leaked since.:p

someday

Jul 10, 2000
I had to helicoil my son's kdx recently. Case was straipped badly. The bummer is that the oil now drains slowly because the insert block a drain port from the clutch side (I beleive). It was suggested I lay bike down on clutch side prior to draining. It all eventually drains. At least I don't have to worry about the plug coming out. I also added thick nylon washers to our plugs.

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
I had the same problem, if you go the helicoil route it will block the drain hole from below the clutch as it enters into the side of the main drain. I bored and tapped mine out to the next size up, wish I had used metric fine rather than coarse thread but otherwise ok. If you drill and tap just be very careful to ensure that the new thread is perpendicular to the face otherwise the bolt will not seal correctly. If you go down the helicoil route I would suggest that every other oil change you remove the clutch cover to make sure you get any crap out, after all most oil contamination is from the clutch. Good luck let us know how you get on.

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
You might not have to do the tapping/heli-coil thing. I stripped the threads on my truck a while back. The auto parts store had a rubber plug that you twisted in. It was removeable and worked great. One problem I can see is that it might get busted off pretty easily if it wasn't protected by a skid plate. Also it protruded into the oil pan a ways so you'll need to check that.

It was only a couple of bucks and made my day when I found it!

Top Bottom