bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think this topic has been brought up before.
There have been a couple threads as of late where people we don't agree with have been ganged up on by the "In" crowd.

Now I have hung around for awhile and have seen the same damn post put up a thousand times, but the new people have not, and we have been wondering what to do to get more people involved! I don’t think all jumping on some one is the answer?

So lately NGE is the Troll of the month, so wherever he posts he gets a warm welcome by the In crowd attitude! Truespode unloads on him in the off topic forum, now Patman throws out some intellectual genius in the "How to use the Forum" forum
The claim is the thread was in the wrong forum, so why not say where to put it! No, instead of just saying where it went, now he searches for where it went and thus NGE has started another thread, and is asking questions in a 3rd. How’s that less work? I’m sure it was deleted just because of who the author was, yet doesn’t that just add fuel to his fire?
Where do you think the new people are looking/lurking, they are reading these fine responses and probably wondering WTF constitutes that Attitude, at least I would! For we forget what it's like to be the new guy, and afraid to even post, let alone start a thread, and responses like these would make them think even harder about what the responses they might get.

Now after someone gets a warm welcome from Tony in the welcome forum, they end up seeing the "What are Subscribers and Support Team Members?" at the top of the page! then they cruise around for awhile, and start to notice the things I posted above, most of the time the Subscribers and Support Team Members with the Nice avatars are the ones piling it on the newbies! So what are subscribers and Support team members, they are the bullies who are tired of hearing the same damn question and won't tolerate it once it's asked, then the newbie or troll of the month finally leaves to find another place, and we say about time!

We even had a Dad post his disappointment about trying to get Bubbas signature. Now he has been a member since 99, and posts a fairly thought out, well written post. What’s the response? Our “Support” team greats him with a nice suck it up ya whiner! Now I agree the title is a bit tough, but it’s not like he joined yesterday, and that was his first thread!!
Now we got “BubbaS” himself responding! I'm sure the real bubba took the time to post a response, and mention he had a nice turd crowning is why he couldn’t sign it!! Real tactful!
What would your responses have been if that was XRPredator that posted Bubbas a jerk, would you be so fast to criticize the Dads intentions and assume he was hounding Bubba?

I like DRN, and I don't spend time on any other boards, but think about what you’re posting, and how a new person interoperates your words! There are great people here, but sometimes it takes a greater person to just walk away from a pointless troll or to post your “witty” comment based on your assumption the poster had the worst intentions!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
bsmith said:
. . . What would your responses have been if that was XRPredator that posted Bubbas a jerk, would you be so fast to criticize the Dads intentions and assume he was hounding Bubba?
no, they get on me for saying I hate RC. Go figure.

(sorry man, the smartass in me could not resist a "witty" comment) ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
As for NGE... he deserved what he got. He showed his arse in a few other threads and I decided to stop his trolling when I saw it. Then he got upset so I let him know exactly how I felt. I gladly would have handled it in e-mail if he would have e-mailed me but he wanted it made public.

I think we try to handle things fairly around here. Jaybird is a good guy but even he got the boot for crossing over the line.

Ivan

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
bsmith said:
So lately NGE is the Troll of the month, so wherever he posts he gets a warm welcome by the In crowd attitude!

So it must've been a different bsmith that posted when all the T07 stuff was brewing. hmmm?

We even had a Dad post his disappointment about trying to get Bubbas signature. Now he has been a member since 99, and posts a fairly thought out, well written post. What’s the response? Our “Support” team greats him with a nice suck it up ya whiner!

I don't doubt that for one second "the crew" on here wouldn't tear me a new one if I whined about something just as petty.

Now we got “BubbaS” himself responding! I'm sure the real bubba took the time to post a response, and mention he had a nice turd crowning is why he couldn’t sign it!! Real tactful!

I've been known for my tact. :laugh: My biggest goal in doing that was to just have everyone laugh it off INCLUDING JJMxer or whatever his name is. If he can't sit back at this point and just chuckle, then so be it...

What would your responses have been if that was XRPredator that posted Bubbas a jerk

I would have still felt compelled to ask BubbaS to reply. :p

In closing, I feel like I've had/ have my share of crap from people on here from time to time. Do I deserve it? Sometimes and sometimes not. I'm a big boy though and keep coming back since I know that it's trivial to take things too personally. I think DRN has lost ALOT of it's attitude, but the one thing that remains true to these boards as well as others is that you gotta grow some thicker skin if you want to get along on the 'net.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Bsmith, did you use the search function before reposting a previous discussed topic?

Surely, you should of known... :laugh:

just havin fun with ya man!

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I didn't want to reply to fast, that might be trolling :p

I didn't see the "Gun" thread until now where NGE showed his opinions and put Nephron down for an accident! Not very tactful :|
But I don't think Nephron got sucked into it, he resisted!
NGE does offer advice to other new members in some of the other forums. Should we call him an ignorant bastage and close the thread or just say no politics and close it? It just creates more work and looks bad to some of the newer people that don't understand(like I didn't understand). It's nice to have some newer people to answer some of the mundane questions that those that have been around won't or just don't know like me :)

T-07 was completely trolling in the Political forum and not backing anything up. NGE at least fights from his point of veiw wether we agree with it or not!( I still say off with his head GreenHorn ;) )

If people that don't post much, post something that you consider petty, I'm just saying why does everyone have to jump on them? I have kids, and I understand when you try hard for something only to miss it by minutes and your kids become sad, as a parent if you don't feel bad for your kids or are some what sympathetic for their feelings then you got more things to worry about!

I'm not trying to put anyone down, and just trying to get people to think about their posts and the good of DRN. I have in the past been very quick to jump in, I know I got a lot of "witty" comments just waiting for a place to go!

I'm a slow learner Offroader :moon:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
bsmith said:
I have kids, and I understand when you try hard for something only to miss it by minutes and your kids become sad, as a parent if you don't feel bad for your kids or are some what sympathetic for their feelings then you got more things to worry about!

I also have A kid and I fully understand how hard it is to let them down. My son will be 5 in August. The real reason I feel like JJMxr needs to get a grip is more based on what he's instilled in his kid(s). To have a 5 yr old all upset over an autograph is petty in my book. At 5 yrs old, a kid only immitates what he see's. He or she isn't really old enough to develop a strong liking for one rider or another based on their own thought patterns. I'm basically saying that Jr. is a fan of Bubba because Dad is. C'mon now, the kid says a prayer for Bubba before he goes to bed? My kid doesn't even remember to include is own grandparents in a prayer but that's because he's a YOUNG child. This poor kid is going to become a neurotic/ crazed fan just like his Dad. Calling someone a Jerk in the title of a post just because that person didn't scribble on a piece of paper for you is a little eccentric for me.

So there, I said it. It's all out in the open now. Whew, I need a beer before I come back and see how many people roast the F outta me for my opinion. :joke:

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Feels good doesn't it, this is like therapy ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bsmith said:
I’m sure it was deleted just because of who the author was, yet doesn’t that just add fuel to his fire?

Wrong again. :nener:

The post was deleted because it was a poorly worded 6th grader generic question posted in the Advanced Tech forum.

The question has been answered on any number of occasions out here by some of the leading two-stroke researchers in the country, a fact that even the most rudimentary Search would have shown.

If it had been posted in the General Repair/Beginner forum or it were posted by a new member it would have been handled differently. But I have little time and even less patience for lazy schmucks who have been here a long time but still won't use the Search function and dump stupid MXA reader questions in the Advanced Tech forum. Save the bull**** martyr act for someone who gives a ****.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I'm going to go with Green Horn on this one. I have a 4-year old, so I know what we are dealing with. Parents define what the expectations are for an event like this. Was it built up as: "We're going to meet Bubba S?" Or, "We're going to watch some great racing, and if we run into some of the stars we we'll see if we can get an autograph or two?"

The really telling statement was: He was so upset that we didn't even stay for the race. Are you kidding me? I wouldn't go through all of the trouble and spend the money not to see the race. My child would understand that we are there to see the race and all the rest of it is just window dressing.

I took my daughter to see Sesame Street live; we went for the show. We didn't get Elmo's autograph. So what.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Save the bull**** martyr act for someone who gives a ****.

So rich doesn't care ;)

Most users ever online was 412 on 12-10-2002. That was a year and a half ago, come on Rich. This is what I'm talking about, not wether people are the mental giants and deserve to post in the Mensa Forum. But the perception the new members have when Mods and suppoort team members posts stuff just like that!

You don't have the time, but look at how much attention is given to these types of people! Newbies don't understand that, thus they don't stick around because ot the attitude! Thanks for helping me prove a point! :p

Marytr, please, I'm just using these as examples, I'm sure their have been other people feeling the same way, just affraid to say it!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bsmith said:
This is what I'm talking about, not wether people are the mental giants and deserve to post in the Mensa Forum. But the perception the new members have when Mods and suppoort team members posts stuff just like that!

This is a Private forum where we generally speak the truth instead of the politically correct nonsense we get saddled with in the regular forums for fear somebody might get their panties in a bunch. From now on I'll make sure every Mod sends a handwritten letter explaining why every hopelessly stupid ASCII burning post wasn't given the attention it clearly deserved. :bang:

I always find it funny when some clown tries to foist some half-baked agenda in an off-topic thread and then gets bent out of shape because people light him up over it. If he wants to act like a horse's ass, he should invest in a thicker skin.

I miss the days when this was a dirt bike board, instead of a dumping ground for whiners, drooling idiots, agenda toting cranks, and religious zealot losers. :|

For the record I've had more of my posts deleted without warning or explanation than NGE could ever hope to and you don't hear me bitching about it like a jilted debutante on prom night.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rich,
Youve got to stop holding back bro, it's not healthy.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
There it is! The Rich! yeh baby, yeh. When i was a newbie i posted about generic hop ups for 4-stroke motors in response to some member posting Q's about his YZF.Rich called my ideas "dinosaur ..something or other" ha! I knew imediately i was in the right place.No LOL, i'm serious. i find when people are comfortable enough to let their personality through it makes the site. granted, there are sociopaths out there, and i've had my sociopath moments. But the thing is, this board operates on 2 levels, the cyber and the real. The cyber so we can get together away from the dirt and a way of coordinating rides and such in the "real". This is quite different from a D&D board because of it. I've been in epic Net battles with several of the in crowd, but then you travel someplace to see the same people because it's like family here. I've crapped up my nest here much, but for the most part the tribe will bring you back after a sufficient banishment. My point is...shure, this is a "free" internet site for people to "talk"(used to be mostly dirt bikes, but i've got no prob with all the variety) but the core has become a family. I'm a member of another board, but i've never met those people and i've been a member on that board for 3 or 4 more years than this. because of this fact most people have met each other or probably will so when someone comes in and pokes a friend, not just a handle, i tend to react a lil' more strongly than otherwise. I'm all for patience in handling some of the "less informed", heck yeh, this board is packed with real honest to God pros.In closing, some people just need to be beat because they are (EDIT)-holes in real life, not only on the net. As long as there is a need we will find people (me, Rich, Pred,James) to fill the void of compassion with down home "smack face" logic. :yeehaw: ( <--- i believe this guy is dancing on his vanquised foes remains)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
sfc crash said:
:yeehaw: ( <--- i believe this guy is dancing on his vanquised foes remains)

You're a sick dude Sarge :rotfl:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
more people makes for more toes getting stepped on. How many thousands of members are there? It just ain't the quaint tea room it used to be way back in '00 when I joined. Now we have Prom Decoration committees, Little Person Bowling (Rich gets offended by the word midget), Bingo for Oldguy and 89'er, an arcade, a bookie, and Carlo is even giving free PSA exams on Friday nights. It's a zoo. I can't remember who I like and who I really like. The flame board is gone, too. I can hardly find my way home to the Off-Topic forum after a hard night of drinking. Everything is all new. Someone even fixed the squeek at the top of the stairs, just before you hit "search".

But I hear ya, Smiffy. Sometimes it sounds like the mods gang up more. I don't know. Maybe it's just your time of the month?

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I could sure use a jilted debutante right now.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
bsmith said:
Feels good doesn't it, this is like therapy ;)

Now how 'bout a hug?? :ohmy: :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
bsmith said:
now Patman throws out some intellectual genius in the "How to use the Forum" forum
:think: The intent wasn't to show genius, guess I'll have to dumb down even more.

bsmith said:
but sometimes it takes a greater person to just walk away from a pointless troll or to post your “witty” comment based on your assumption the poster had the worst intentions!
Obviously this is a do as I say not as I do comment right? :laugh:

NGE is just trying to do a little CYA with being helpful, if you really follow where he spends the most of his efforts you'll see he's really just trolling.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Green Horn said:
Now how 'bout a hug?? :ohmy: :laugh:
No huggin' for Greenie until he sanitizes his hands, he's got chiggers!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Patman - NGE is just trying to do a little CYA with being helpful said:
I've done searches on all posts by NGE and found the opposite to be true. Before drawing the ire of a few folks almost every post I found was him asking a question, trying to help someone else or just participating in a discussion. Even the posts where he is accused of being a whiner I thought he conveyed his questions in a positive manner. The responses to his posts by other longstanding members who seemed to follow him around were not.

Top Bottom