CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I was at the NY Motorcycle show yesterday talking with a Honda representative who was telling me about the Hatfield & McCoy trail system in WV (http://www.trailsheaven.com/). While I have heard of the trail system before, the more the Honda Rep explained it to me, the more I realised that it might make the perfect spot for DRN East Coast ride.

Those of you that are familiar with the trail system, what do you think?

There is camping, food...heck some towns on the trail system even let you ride through town ro get to food & gas. We would need some guidance as to where to camp/stay where there are trails that would accommodate beginner to expert riders. I was looking at the website and found this location that has cabins and camping and it's on the trail system (http://www.twinhollowcampground.com/). Any feedback?

Let's start piecing this together.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've heard a lot about the place with good reviews. I'd have to pop for a sparkarester though :( I may get ribbed for this but I only get one kitchen pass for an overnight ride and I'll probably stick to the Paragon ride.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I wouldnt mind making the trip. Some of my quad buddies made the trip 2 years ago and loved it. There is a DRN member down there that we could look up. He posted about a ride down there several months ago in the Places to Ride forum. I'll have to look for the thread.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Hey Captain O
Did you miss my reply to your other post...(Damn Yankee Riders Forum) or are you just not speaking to me :(

Matt

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
No, not ignoring you…I just can’t think without my calendar that is at work. :)

April 21 to the 24th is clear on my calendar…so it’s a good date for me.

TJ, thanks for the links. If we use those dates it looks like we’ll miss the big crowds of the Mountain State ATV & Dirt Bike Jamboree on April 28 - May 1, 2005.

Now the question becomes…which campground has access to the most diverse trails.

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Gary, the April dates look like they may work for me too if you want to hook up with Matt and his group. Even if no one from our group can make it, it will allow us to scope the place out for a possible fall ride.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
So glad....thought I may have written something ya didn't like :cool: We usually camp when we ride...this time we decided to "get a room" mostly because of the driving distance. My mileage is cut in half pulling a camper, and if everyone in the club came...we couldn't all stay in it anyway.When I was doing a little research, I saw the camp ground that you refered to( before I decided not to haul the camper) and liked it. I don't remember which trail it was on,but from what I've read,most of them are within 45 min. to an hour from each other.The lodging that we have is on the Browning Fork trail.It's near Gilbert...one of the towns that allows you to ride in town.The owners told me that the Browning Fork seemed to be the most well liked by riders looking for a challenge because of it's diverse terrain, elevation changes, as well as some good single track.There's a good "weekend warrior" article in Dirtrider.com by some guys that went recently. Anyhow...whatever camp ground the DRN crowd will be...we'll be there to join the festivities. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
WOW...just read the ride report that TJ posted the reference to.... :yikes: Sounds scary, but fun.That's why we are going to drive 14 hours...needless to say, not much of that in So.La. :ohmy:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Yeah there are some mountians around here. I'm not to easy on them either so if you see me walking a bike, dont laugh. :)

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm sure we can find a water hole for you to submerge you and your DRZ into.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Your more than welcome Trigger. That way if you disappear in the water hole i know not to go in. :)

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
I can give you just about any information you need about the Hatfield McCoy Trails. I live in southern WV in the heart of the Hatfield McCoy Trails. I have a business that serves trail riders and I am a vendor for the Hatfield McCoy Trails. By being a vendor, I sell trail permits for the HM office. I am very knowledgeable about the trails--especially the Browning Fork Trail--which is the most popular trail of riders.

So if anyone needs information, don't hesitate to contact me.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I would possibly enjoy coming also if I dont have to work, well actually i'll just take off so i'm in if this pans out. Thats if i'm allowed by you guys :pfft:

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Allowed? Most of are lucky to be able to walk upright...who are we to allow.

Of course you are "invited" :cool:

Apexlocator

Jan 27, 2005
New Guy

I can help with Hatfield, been there and it is good. Also good is Green Ridge State Park in MD. It is a long haul to Hatfield, but it is fun and the people are awesome.

I am new to this forum but may just want to jump in with my son on a ride now and then.

Frank :yeehaw:

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
The ride report that xsnrg gave on the Hatfield McCoy Trails was very accurate. His descriptions were very vivid, but precise.

In xsnrg's report he mentions the Rockhouse Trail that he rode on day 1 and day 3. Actually, it is the Browning Fork Trail. It is often referred to as the Rockhouse Trail, especially by residents of Man, the area in which he stayed. Browning Fork Trail is the preferred trail by most riders.

Xsnrg stayed in Man. It is very ATV friendly, but dirt bikes are not allowed in city limits. Gilbert is very ATV and dirt bike friendly. You can get gas, go through the drive thru at McDonalds, Hardees, etc. or even do your banking while in Gilbert on your bike. You will really enjoy the hospitality and priviliges that Gilbert allocates to riders.

The trail he mentions coming out of the town of Gilbert, blue trail 35, has been changed. It no longer exists. People who were not experienced or who had young children did not want to tackle this trail. So the trail authority made the trail coming out of Gilbert a green trail that everyone can ride.

mafols,
I think you are staying in one of my units off the Browning Fork Trail. I am sure you will be pleased with your accommodations.

If your friends are staying at Twin Hollow Campground, then you will be VERY close to them.

If you need any additional information, just let me know.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thanks for the info Trailhouse.

I plan on bringing my 10 year-old son...who doesn't exactly like challenging trails. If we stay at the Twin Hollow camp grounds in Gilbert, will we have easy access (no loading-up the bikes) to the trails?

Additionally, are there challenging trails close by?

Thanks for your help.

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
The Browning Fork Trail is full of challenging trails, but also easier ones. The Browning Fork Trail, which is the trail that runs through our small community of Gilbert, consists of approximately 115 miles of trail. It has the largest total amount of trails of each of our trail systems. The breakdown in trail percentage is as follows: 51% are green trails (easiest), 31% are blue trails (more difficult), 11% are black trails (most difficult), and 7% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to the city of Gilbert, WV, gas, full service food, and lodging.

Twin Hollow Campground has direct access the the trail.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Hey Lisa,

Yes... we are staying at your place. We will be hoping to get together with this gang of Yankees...it's going to be fun. :laugh:

Matt

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I'm looking forward to it! Not sure how us Yankees are going to plan the trip down since everyone is spread out. Looks like Gilbert is 420 miles from my place so about a 5.5 hour drive with gas stop.

So what are the plans? Most likely it will just be me as Shawn doesnt even ride local much anymore. So will be hard to drag him down. We riding thursday, friday, saturday and sunday? Or arriving thursday afternoon, riding friday and saturday and heading home sunday? Campground says 2 vehicles per camping spot with up to 4 adults. Anyone want to share a spot? If its just myself i will have my truck tent setup like at paragon. Lets start throwing some ideas out there.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well, since school is still in session, I'd probably travel Thursday when Connor gets out of school so we can ride Friday and Saturday. I too will be using my truck-bed tent. We’ll have to figure out a grill and campfire.

I give DRN members a few more weeks to “discover” this thread….then I’m gonna start an email campaign. This seems like a great place to have a east coast regional DRN event.

For those of you that live in the Gilbert area, are there any MX tracks nearby to interest those who are afraid of trees moving into their path?

BTW, I just posted a link to this thread in the Southern Spodes forum.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Cool, want to plan on spliting the cost of a camp site then? I can bring a gas grill and my 10x20 canopy so we have a place to park the bikes under or a rain hangout. I have tons of firewood as we just had 11 log truck loads of trees hualled out depending on space available on the truck. I dont want to have to hual a trailer.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Hey all, glad to see my ride report was some help. Now that I see how long it was, I am surprised it was even read by anyone. It was a great trip. If you have any questions for me, I'll be checking this forum off and on.

By the way Treejumper, I live in NC now, but I grew up between Brockway and Ridgway, PA. So I grew up riding up in your back yard. Ever ridden down your bike to the Halton Hilton for lunch?

Last edited:
Top Bottom