DRN Tested

This thread is for questions or comments regarding any of the Product Tests performed by DRN.

Lorin

Lifetime Sponsor
I really enjoyed the review and am extremely interested in the ongoing use of this boot. I have had a pair of Tech 7's for almost 4 years and really like the boot (in spite of replacing multiple straps and buttons). In looking at my options for a new, replacement boot, I have come down to about 3 options: The new tech 8, which seems heavy and bulky
The Tech 6, which is the actual replacement for the tech 7
The new Sidi boot, which may not last more than a year or two (hard to say on a brand new model.)

My main concern is the wear factor. Having used my 7's for 4 years, I am strongly in favor of the Alpine boots. But, those Sidi's certainly are a nice looking boot. If they hold up well, I may very well buy the Sidi's.

Ankle plates?

The review mentioned that there was more lower protection than most boots -- extra formed parts rather than just leather. Is there actually some hard, or formed, protection of the ankle itself? (I broke my ankle riding when my peg went right through it -- I noticed my current boots have no protection for the ankle against a blow).

Yes, there is more ankle protection than any boot I've seen. Soon as Nikon sends my Digital back from it's $200 repair, I'll put up some detailed shots.

One thing of note; after cleaning the bike (CR) I noticed the boots mark-up the frame a LOT more than boots without this hard protection in the ankle area. I doubt it will have the same impact on steel framed bikes, but it's something to mention.

Originally posted by Okiewan
Yes, there is more ankle protection than any boot I've seen
Excellent. That's at the top of my list now for important boot attributes.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
I'll have some pics and more info on the Sidi boots this weekend but the short version is, these have a remarkable level of ankle, heel, and shin protection without making the boot feel clunky or restricting movement. Great engineering. I'll have Part 1 of my review posted this weekend.

MikeT

Subscriber
Will there be a subsection in the Reviews-Impressions-Questions forum for all the DRN Tested products? Where will all the reviews be kept?

Yes, we are working on a complete section for reviews, most of the work is done, putting the finishing touches on it now, stay tuned.

MikeT

Subscriber
I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little tired of MXA with "its the best ever" or "it sucks"

We going to do it a little differently than the mags... the idea is "real-world" reviews, by "real-world" riders who have to pay for their stuff. There are trade offs with just about everything, the question is, are the trade-offs worth it to you? We'll just lay it all out, you make the call.

MikeT

Subscriber
:D

I have a EE width foot, and my favorite pair of work boots have a EEEE width. Do any of your testers have wide feet? I an disappointed that FOX chose to bow out of the testing. I have a new pair of Forma Comp's still in the box, I have tried them on once and they feel too narrow compared to my old Gaerne's. I'm afraid I am going to have to put them on the For Sale board. :(

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
We going to do it a little differently than the mags... the idea is "real-world" reviews, by "real-world" riders who have to pay for their stuff
As far as EVS not "giving" us a brace to review... If I were them, I wouldn't want it reviewed with the other braces either. Please don't imply that just because they wouldn't supply one for review we trashed it, would be kinda childish don't you think? We were not supplied a unit to review, therefore there is no review. The last thing we'll do (regarding the series tests, where we review several products) is go out and buy the product to review. All the manufacturers were given the review guidelines and invited to participate. EVS declined... no review.
I guess I'm just confused. Please forgive my obvious ignorance.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jaybird,

I think what was being said, though I may be wrong, is that the Test products were to be donated to individuals who normally have to buy their gear. The products to be tested were not going to be bought; only tested by people who normally buy their own stuff. Unlike the pro's who get paid to use something, these testers would base their preffered product decision on what they would prefer to buy and use. Basicly they were only going to test the donated products and choose to buy what they preffered. I hope this makes sense considering I wrote this at 7:50AM in pre-coffee mode. :confused:

Andy

Last edited: