CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've noticed the # of actual members using DRN seem to be declining w/ respect to a couple of other popular well behaved off-road boards.

Case in point, right now as I type we have 56 members online and another BB I frequent has 143 members online. This has been the trend for quite some time now (past 6 weeks or so). Content seems similar, but more and more I'm seeing less people's input here, with less topics coming about.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, just asking...whaddyall think is the difference?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
"Invisible Mode"

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There's a lot that goes into (and can go into!) the "Members Online" number, but...
Does the other board include "guests" online"? It looks better. You can't even read a topic here unless you're registered (that's rare in the forum world). We count only registered members in the online and online today numbers. As Patman said, in addition members can also be "invisible", not showing up online or in the counts.

We require REAL email addys to join. The next two largest boards do not. Ie; we do not allow freebie email accounts to join (hotmail, yahoo, mail.com, etc). If you want to join here, you have to give the real addy.

Post numbers? Stuff in private forums... ie; SupportTeam Forums, Subscriber Forums, etc, are not added to the post totals.

Our moderators have been here an average of 3.5 years. They may be a little more strict than those on others boards. Ya think??!! :laugh: You have no idea how many posts are flat-out deleted every single day.

We've always been about quality over quantity, that won't change.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
They actually have a members, guests, and anonymous count. Trust me, I'm all for quality over quantity. :)

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
just one question what is a real email addy? I do not have a computor of my own, I use a computor lab at the local library or friends. (that is the main reason that I am not a subcriber as of yet) How can I subscribe if I cannot use client email. (BTW I wouln't use client email, microsoft outlook ect... for security and virus reasons)

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
I ran the numbers on users electing to be "invisible" when online at DRN. 14,232 members. That's nearly half the membership.

I just checked the "users online" count a minute ago at 72 and the list of members contained about 40 names. Can we assume from this that the actual user count (visible and invisible) is 72 and of that about 40 are visible?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Just my humble opinion, but I couldn't care less what kind of #'s a website is pushing. What matter the most to me is that I can build trust in fellow members and look to them for GOOD advice/ tech tips when I need them. And on some occassions I try to return the favor. DRN #'s?? Don't know, don't care. DRN # of good people w/ lots of knowledge?? More than I can count off the top of my head. :thumb:

PS I'm "invisible" :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
just curious, why would any regular member choose to be invisible?

i can see why someone like okie or some of the other mods, who might get inundated with pm's would be invisible, but why anyone else?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by mx547
just curious, why would any regular member choose to be invisible?

i can see why someone like okie or some of the other mods, who might get inundated with pm's would be invisible, but why anyone else?
Because they don't want their boss to see their name when they are on-line too. ;)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
There's a lot that goes into (and can go into!) the "Members Online" number, We've always been about quality over quantity, that won't change.
Ditto

DRN has been very good to me! Other boards have never lined up great rides for me! I tire very quickly of drivel! And have dumped them.

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I'm all about good quality info...it is just getting much more quiet in here compared to a year or even two years ago.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by CR Swade
I'm all about good quality info...it is just getting much more quiet in here compared to a year or even two years ago.

Elk isn't around much these days.

And I suspect Irish is gone for good. Irish was good for 20~40 posts a day :laugh:

I visit one other board and they are really focused and excited right now. It kinda goes in waves. The build up to DirtWeek is always a flurry of posts. We also don't seem to disect our bikes ad nauseam. Except perhaps Stan ;)

Right now it is the riding season in Texas and I am actually getting some seat time between projects. That is a good thing.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'd say the biggest reason for fewer posts (and thus fewer members online and posting) is the limit on posts for those who aren't subscribers or SupportTeam members. Approx. 10 months ago, a limit of two posts per day was implemented to cut down on some of the drivel, that's made large impact. There aren't nearly as many one sentence, useless posts anymore. Yes, we knew that would drive some visitors to other boards with no limitations.

Top Bottom