Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
We i sunk my battleship on Sunday. It gulped alot of water thru the airfilter and killed the bike. We pulled the plug and pumped out the water, changed the plug, wrang out the airfilter and go it running again. Besides cleaning the airfilter and changing the oil/filter, what do i need to do? Should i change the oil again shortly after the fresh change? I did have to ride the bike out of the woods several miles and it ran great other than afew coughs here and there at the beginning. I dont think i got any of the sand got past the airfilter because when i pulled it and wiped out the water it was still clean. There was alot in the airfilter box and the water wasnt clear.

airfilter-vi.jpg

Thanks!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks for the tips guys! The carb probably needed a good cleaning anyways. I'm going to redo all the bearings in the swingarm, etc. while i'm at it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Get those bearings done ASAP, TJ.  Pull the valve cover and check for moisture.  Not likely to be any there but it is possible for it to get trapped in there.  Change the oil very frequently for the next few months.  If no other symptoms return and your oil looks clean after the changes, you'll be ok.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
While your at it, may want too re-grease all the wheel, linkage and steering bearings while your at it..
Rick

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Was there any water in the oil you dropped out of it TJ? The bike is made to ride off raod, not that bearing grease isnt a good idea, but I would not rip the whole bike apart just cause it was in a little water :) . Then again, this from a guy that has a wire coat hanger and duct tape for a front fender :) . But I have put the WR through and even under plenty of water.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
LOL, yeah I have to take a picture of the "stelth fender" as NRB has dubbed it :) . It actualy held up great and kept the mud and water out of my face.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Ok, tore into the bike today. Drained the oil and got a watery mocha colored oil out. I'd guess the water to oil ration was 1:3. I drained all that i could and removed the oil filter. Then put in some regular 4 stroke oil, ran the bike, then drained it all out. Same color as first batch. Put in new oil and new filter, filled it with synethic oil (what i normally run), and ran the bike afew minutes. The oil is not as tan/brown but still has the coloring and alittle thin in texture.

Should i run this for a few hours or so then replace it and the filter? Or should i leave the filter out and keep adding oil, run it afew minutes and drain til i get good oil after the run?

Thanks for the help and here's what the oil looked like.

DCP_3592-vi.jpg

DCP_3593-vi.jpg

orlowskij

Sep 28, 2003
I would continue to change my oil until it came out the right color, and then change it often for a while after.If you see no further symptoms, you should be good to go.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by orlowskij
I would continue to change my oil until it came out the right color, and then change it often for a while after.If you see no further symptoms, you should be good to go.
]]

Yep. I would do the same. Just go get a case of cheap oil and run it until its clean.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks, thats what i figured. I'll pick up a 5qt thing of motor oil and run it through til it comes back out the color it went in. :)

Artimus

Jul 6, 2003
I've submarined my bike 2x this season. I did everything you did but I pulled the carb and cleaned it in kerosene. I then filled the thing with oil, ran it, drained it and filled it with good oil. Then I changed it after 1 ride then again after a couple. I'm all done with the dropping the running bike in the water thing now.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
You hope your done with it anyways. ;) I'm sure i will have afew more sometime in the future, its just the way my luck runs. :)

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Uh, luck!?

Looked more like lack of judgement from where I watched! :laugh:

Actually, if you hadn't dumped it I probably would've been right behind you. Just wanted to see if you'd make it first. So, I guess thankyou would be the right thing to say here. :thumb:

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by Draybob
Uh, luck!?

Looked more like lack of judgement from where I watched! :laugh:
Yeah, I have to agree with that one. Like I said before. I couldn't believe it when I saw someone fly past me and go right down the center of that river... ok, creek... Alright really, really big puddle. :laugh:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/80433852/96018154kTKqqF

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I would of been fine if i had remembered that big rock was on the left. Nice picture! :thumb:

Top Bottom