BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Ok I was riding today on a new trail. I had been skipping through six inch deep mud holes all day. Suddenly one of them went from what I thought was six inches to roughly four feet deep.
I pulled the plug and kicked the water out of the cylinder and drained the air box.
I'm thinking new air filter, piston and rings (it's still on the first piston so no big loss), and replace all of the fluids. Is there anything else I should do? I guess Fredette is going to do that porting this winter afterall.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I did the same thing this summer on my old ATK. Don't run the bike until you can get the work done - the muddy junk that was left over really did a number on the piston but luckily the cylinder was not damaged. New piston, rings, bearing, and a change of the tranny fluid (or two) along with at least a well-cleaned air filter should do the trick. Also clean the carb real good - I had muck left over in there too.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
I did the same thing to my husky 250 WR this year at an enduro,When I finally got it started rode it back to the pits.After replacing top end started it up and sounded like it had steel marbles floatin' around in it.

had to split cases and rebuild rod and replace main bearings and seals.You might pull ignition cover off and pull up n down on rotor to see if you have any slop/need mains.somehow i still overalled 250 b class though,unreal!

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
It's a catch 22.
1. If you let it sit untill you can take it to FRP for porting like suggested u may end up with a complete rebuild because of a locked bottom end. (water will evaporate leaving mud that will rust andeventuallyt lock your big end and case bearings).
2.The other plan of action would be running some raw gas through the bottom to clear that mud then running with a heavy on oil mixture (say 15:1 0r 20:1) and hope it will clean it.
Then again you might have gotten extremely lucky and just sucked clean water in, which by your description is unlikely.
I would try #2 given a choice. God luck!

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Nope...The water was really muddy. Oh and full of ice. It made for a really cruddy end of a good day of riding. Looks like a general tear down is in order. The bike only has a little over 100 miles on it. I hate to ruin it at this point.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
At the first GNCC of the year down in FL, on a tuesday i took a dunk on my KDX. Luckly my dad was right there and we flipped it over pulled the plug and got the water out and i finished the race. I also had a GNCC that sunday in GA so i didnt really have time or any parts to rebuild it, I just raced it. Well it finished the race with alot of noise. Tore it down and had a mess on my hands, new crank bearings rod, cylinder and piston. If I were you i would yank the top end off and flush the crap out of the bottem end, if there is anything in the main bearings they are going to go. After you flush it out, since u have it aprt put a top end in it, and hope for the best........Or you can split the cass and clean it out and be safe.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Now that I have purchased all of the parts to fix it all, I believe I will try harder not to use my kadex as a PWC. :(

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that such a drowning need not be a great big deal.

Run some penetrating oil thru the trans and 'rinse out' the topend with the same stuff. Something like marvel will do. Disassembly not necessarily required.

Change your trans oil often after such a bath...the first time being a few minutes after you put it in! Certainly after the next couple of rides and anytime thereafter you notice anything resembling condensation in the site glass or on the filler plug.

My riding buddy drownded his pretty much brandy-new kdx. Cleaned it out basically as per the above....rode it for a long time after that with no deleterious effects.

He never did take the thing apart (topend, clutch or otherwise).

Yeah...checking the rotor would be a good idea.......that's kind of a given.

Good luck!

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
What's up with the rotor? Is this a known weak item on the KDX? I didn't run it after I swamped it. Luckily it happened near a road, and what little pusing I had to do was mostly downhill. My riding buddy went back for the truck.
I know I could probably get by with a rinse and go job, but I was planning on changing the piston and porting the bike anyway. Just not this soon. The whole 220 piston breakage thing was making me paranoid.

Brad

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What's up with the rotor? Well, it got drowned, too, didn't it?

Maybe the cover gasket held up, maybe it didn't. At least the intake water went thru a filter! ;)

First I heard the 220 part.

If I had a 220, I'd be paranoid about the oem piston, too. Sounds like a good time to get'r done!

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Ok just for water. I was concerned over the previous comment on the rotor:

had to split cases and rebuild rod and replace main bearings and seals.You might pull ignition cover off and pull up n down on rotor to see if you have any slop/need mains.somehow i still overalled 250 b class though,unreal!

And then yours.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Ok. I got it apart. I stopped on the cylinder when I ran into the KIPS actuator rod since it was unfamiliar to me. Thank GOD I did a search in here and found out that the threads on the nut are reversed. I ALMOST made the mistake here. (thanks guys)
The tranny was remarkably void of water. The oil was a bit foggy but no free standing water at all. I will still flush repeatedly as advised. The carb pipe and top end were of course full of muddy water.
I have decided to turn a bad situation into an opportunity. Fredette is in que to do the porting, the head, and bore the carb to the KDX 200 diameter. I bought a new Wiseco piston, FMF Gnarly Desert pipe, extra jets and plugs, UNI air filter, and Delta Force reed valve. I have decided to put off the FMF silencer until after Christmas. From what I have read there is very little payback in the power to price departement.
Am I missing anything? any reccomendations?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
You know, when I dropped into an 18+" deep rut full of muddy water yesterday, I thought of this thread. ;) Luckily enough water only went as high as mid-case. I hate big ATVs... j/k

Best,
Greg

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Same deal happened to me. Out of nowhere what looked like a foot deep water hole became a three foot deep four wheelers vandalism of a good trail. We pumped it out there and I rode for another hour or so. Got home and flushed it out and put new tranny oil in it. I pulled the carb a while back to install a v-force and did notice some brown residue inside the carbs air intake side. I probably have three or four hours of riding since drowning the bike and no funny noises or actions as of yet. The water was brown but all of the mud appeared to be at the bottom of the hole. Everything on top appeared the same consistency as water. I hope.

Perk

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I thought the same thing until I pulled my bike apart. I'm glad I did. There was mud everywhere. I'm glad I didn't ride it after the drowning. From the looks of it I could have really screwed the bike up.
The hole was made by a 4x4 truck not an ATV. I understand guys wanting to swamp there trucks and ATVs but it really pisses me off when they do it in a trail. Thats one of the reasons I prefer singletrack trails. I don't have to worry about four wheel guys making asses out of themselves. I wonder if they even realize what they are doing when they cobb hole out a trail? How much brain power does it take for them to make mudholes OFF THE TRAIL?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There's an obvious answer to that question....it takes more brain power than they have.

But then seeing as 'No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the american people' (samuel clemens) being certainly as true now as it has ever been, what do you expect?

Expecting anything different than what you get makes no sense. Indeed, doing so repeatedly (expecting something different from a repeated same effort) is the definition of insanity (albert einstein).

Maybe that's the problem. The boobs sinking their trucks in such a mudhole are expecting a different result from the last time they sunk their trucks in such a mudhole. ;)

Another thing that could apply is the common sense angle, and certainly you know how hard that is to come by......

rschli2

Nov 18, 2003
In your Race tool kit keep 2 gallons of regular household alcohol. Use this as a primary flush of the top and bottom end, you can even use to flush the transmission. The alcohol will cut the contaminated oil and emulsify with the water to remove all lubrication and water from the engine. It is also thin enough to stream out the majority of debris that may have been introduced. Then wet top and bottom end with WD40. Fresh tranny oil. Mix 1gal 20:1 fuel and heat cycle engine 2-3 times. I have used this on "horrible" dirty submersions and never had any problems, Also works for "sunk" PWC.

R. Schlick
2000 KDX 220R
2000 YZ125
1997 KX100
1992 RM80

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sounds to me like you've have it covered, You're really going to like Mr. Fredettes porting. It's well worth the $$$. Spend the extra cash for the FMF TCII, the weight reduction is worth the price alone.

Top Bottom