Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Ok so my riding season will be beginning in a few days and I'm going to be putting on a new rear tire. At the same time I want to take the time to get my rear drum working as well as possible. The shoes look a little glazed and inside the hub its a little dirty. Should I clean everything and then sandpaper? Are you supposed to sandpaper the shoes and the hub or just one? Please hit me back with what should be done!

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
I just soaked everything in gasoline, skrubed everything with a toothbrush, and replaced the brake shoes. Make sure to grease all the bearings and axle too.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
If you clean the hub really well is that better than saning it, or should the hub be cleaned and sanded? And should the shoes also be sanded?

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I just soaked everything in gasoline, skrubed everything with a toothbrush, and replaced the brake shoes. Make sure to grease all the bearings and axle too.

DO NOT SOAK BRAKE PARTS IN GASOLINE. The pads WILL soak up gasoline like a sponge and it will RUIN them.

This is what you do....

Sand pads at a 45 degree angle with 100 grit sand paper. Do the same with the drum... Do it just enough to remove any surface rust or glazing on the pads/drum.

Clean out the drum with Brakkleen (or any other brake cleaner). Then spray some brake cleaner on a rag and lightly wipe off any dust on the pads...

Don't spray the pads with brake cleaner, you could ruin them.

Then just re-assemble and have the brake set kinda tight so that as soon as you barely push down the pedal you get some drag.

Do a couple low-speed stops on JUST the rear brake. Then step it up a little and do some high speed stops on just the rear, just to ensure it's seating in the hub and cleaning off any excess brake cleaner. DON'T lock up the brake on these tests... just kinda slowly apply them so that the bike comes to an easy stop. (A grass field works best considering it grips harder than dirt.)

Good luck. Should have you running like new.

Dan

P.S. Do check the bearings and make sure they've got grease... good call...

ktm300mxczz

Mod Ban
Oct 17, 2000
Dirtknobs said:
How do I take the bearings out? Do i pop them out? If i just stick alot of grease in with the axle is that ok?
no once you remove the bearings they are no good also while your at it you might cut grooves with a hack saw into shoes to better vent watter and mud

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Don't remove the bearings, just put a little grease on them if they're an exposed bearing, if they have a plastic cover over them, then just let them be. You can even peel back the plastic and inject some grease in there with a needle-greaser fitting for a standard grease-gun.

If you do the cut-grooves route, make sure to cut them on a 45, no wider than an 1/8th of an inch. Sand down the corners on the tops of the groves as well. Cut between 2 and 5 groves in the shoe depending on it's size.

Here's a pic so you have a reference:
191219.jpg

Dan

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
I greased up the axle and the bearings as much as i could. As far as the drum brakes I sanded them, but I won't cut the grooves because I rarely encounter big puddles. Worst comes to worst I'll just take the wheel off and clean the hub. Anyway thanks for everyones help, especially Dan

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Is it ok if my rear drum rubs a little? At first I set it up so that it would not rub, but when i took it for a test run I found I had to push down too far. Now I have it set so that it rubs a tiny bit. (I put the bike on a box and spun the wheel, there was a little bit of resistance) It brakes considerably better. Is it ok to have it like this or is it better to go back to it not rubbing?

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Are you adjusting it from the hub, or from the pedal?

Adjust it so it's slightly snug, then up by your pedal there should be a pedal adjustment bolt. Loosen that up one turn, possibly two, and that should take the rub out. Just make sure you lock the jam-nut in place before riding.

Dan

Top Bottom