FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Back in the old days, when I ran NETRA enduros, I added a bit of drygas (ethanol, methanol ?) to my gas as insurance to absorb any water that might get into the gas either from condensation or from riding (and refueling) in the rain. I have sort of forgotten about it since I have yet to ride in the rain down here in sunny Florida, but his weekend's HS might get wet.

Somewhere I've gotten the impression that there is some kind of problem with alcohols and 2-stroke mix. But I also think there is some alcohol in most pump gas now-a-days.

Is there any advantage or problem with adding some drygas to my mix?

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I run isopropal alcohol in my snowmachines all winter long without any problems. This includes oil injected models and my 440 snocross sled that uses premix. The Isoheet brand that I use helps prevent the carbs from freezing up during cold temperatures when riding through dry, powder snow.

As an aside, almost everytime one of my buddie's machines burns down and it is taken in under warrenty the dealer more often than not blames it on water in the gas. In fact a few of the guys in the 2000 mile long Irondog race have had their chances at winning ruined because of water in the gas.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I agree on the iso-heet, I've also had good luck in my sleds running about 1/3-1/2 bottle per 10 gallons of fuel. Good insurance, and I never noticed anything negative about running it.

doug e fresh

Feb 8, 2001
Running a "drygas" type additve can cause a problem if you get a significant amount of water in your premix. The alcohol and water combine and separate from the premix. IE (oil and water dont mix). The water and alcohol "emulsion" can go thru your 2 cycle engine and "wash" the lubricative oil off the moving parts (soon to not move). In my opinion,if you're not having a problem, don't run drygas Doug 89atk406 94exc300 01mxc300

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I don't agree with the previous statement but let be clarify where I am arguing from. I primarly use isopropal alcohol in my snowmachines since they are more susceptable to getting water in the gas than my summer machines. I believe this is due to the temperture swings we get during the winter where is goes a few degrees above and below freezing fairly often in South Central Alaska along the coast.

I have seen many snowmachines burn holes in the pistons because of water in the gas. Now I have wondered for many years whether this was the cause for engine damage or a wives tale. I have also had dealerships tell me this is the reason why three of my family's machines have burned down. Because of what I read water in the gas effecting the Iron Dog racers I assumed it was true. Also I have not had any problems with burn downs when running Isoheet. This leads me to believe that alcohol does not harm the engines.

One of the big differences between dirt bikes and sleds is that most snowmachines are oil injected. However, I have run Isoheet in older pre mix machines as well as my pre mix Ski-Doo 440 with no ill effects. Oil injection or not does not seem to play a part. So based on my experiences I don't see how isopropal alcohol can damage you engine. But, it seems that water in your gas is very detrimental to your engine.

doug e fresh

Feb 8, 2001
Rockrider,I should have put in my post that I agree with your response, especially operating snowmobiles under those conditions. When I lived in Penna. years ago my family had sleds and we added drygas almost religiously. My previous reply was from a" bike"point of view, and if you read it again I said that if a significant amount of water mixes with the drygas it COULD cause aproblem,not definately cause a problem. I think it was Eric Gorr who had an article in DIRTRIDER mag a couple of years back talking about the very same thing I stated, except it was refering more to a problem running gasahol not drygas. My only concern was trying to warn FLBOB about the problems he could encounter and giving him some info so he can make an "educated" decision. Maybe somebody out there can give some more input on a gas additive that can take care of water but is more 2 cycle friendly than most drygas type additives, which are formulated for cars. Doug

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
From a chemistry point of view, I think a mixture of water and alcohol DOES mix with oil! Water doesn't mix with gas either, that's why we are adding the alcohol. I gues I could do a simple test in a clear glass container and try it.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
No worries Doug E Fresh:)

A few years ago I tried out the test Motometal described. I added some Isoheet to a ratio-rite containing gas and water. The alcohol mixed with the water and formed a type of emulsion. The emulsion was heavier than the gas and stayed at the bottom of the ratio-rite in a defined layer.

Out of curiousity I mixed some water with more alcohol and tried to light it. It didn't readily light up using a lighter and I don't think I ever managed to get it to burn.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Not to be a stick

and go off topic but ahhhh, why in to world would you want to on an mx bike when all you have to do at the very very worst is pull the tank off?

12,000 RPMs I do not think a drop or two of water will have much affect.

any more then a drop or two pull the tank off, or if your really lazy flip the bike upside down.

Top Bottom