PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
I got the LA Sleeve 96mm big bore kit with steel sleeve. The first time, the machine shop put it in 90 degrees off and tried to turn it, (they thought the cut outs at the bottom of the sleeve for the crank bearings were 2str porting?). Anyway, that didn't work, the sleeve dropped down and the head gasket blew. They milled it flat and it did it again. They then got me a new cylinder and installed a new sleeve and it did the same thing again?!?!? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I assume this is possible? :whiner:

berno11

Oct 9, 1999
I was also screwed by LA Sleeve.......once.
It will never happen again.

If it was mine I would demand they give me a stock cylinder or If you just have to have the overbore kit get a cylinder bored and plated for the 96mm piston.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I used to sleeve hd cylinders, aluminum and iron with la sleeves.
You have to double check the counbter bore details on each one when you prepare the cylinder for the sleeve to insure that dropping down is not possible.
I was also trained to let the cylinder cool in the press after dumping the sleeve in it so the sleeve would not move in relationship to the cylinder.
Properly sleeving an aluminum barrel is not a difficult process but if your shop doesn't have a handle on it take it somewhere else.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom