84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
My son is quickly out-growing his XR100 and is in need of a larger bike. I would like some opinions on which of these would be better for 90% woods 10% MX?

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I believe the June issue of DIRT BIKE has a 250cc four-stroke shootout, which included the DR-Z, TT-R, and XR. They actually sound pretty impressed with the XR250....it won the shootout. :)

bnt5

May 23, 2001
I recently posted a question about the 400cc models for Suzuki and Honda and the overall consensus was that the Suzuki had newer technology, but the Honda won out in reliability and overall torque. This is a really tough comparison, everyone seems to think that you should follow your feelings...:scream: I will probably end up with a honda xr400 or 250 instead of a Suzuki.

Hope this helps

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
I would defenatly take the XR250 over the DRZ250. The XR250 is a tried and true desighn, I have owned many older XR's and basically you can light them on fire and roll them down a hill and they will still fire right back up and keep going. I dont think it is possible to accidently destroy an XR. For woods they are great but for MX the suspension will bottom out like crazy if you case any jumps. I dont know much about the DRZ250 but I do know that honda is built tough and will defenatly last. What year are you looking into buying? Another good thing about the XR's is that they hold their resale value for a very long time. Hope this helps in your decision:)

84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
Actually we are both going to be getting new bikes...him a 250 and a 400 for myself. I know what your talking about with the reliability of the Hondas, I have an 84 XR350 tha has NEVER let me down:D I have ridden both the DRZ and the XR 400s and I like the DRZ better...the motor rips in comparison to the XR, but will it last???

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
that is the great equalizer (preformance or reliability) I guess for the 400 I would try to go with a KTM 400 MXC. I have always been concerned with the reliability of Suzuki's (not a bash to zuk lovers) I have been passed by a few DRZ400's in my day and I can attest that they are pretty fast and throw roost at a high rate of speed. I was impressed that Dirt Rider named the 400 as the bike of the year. For the 200 I would go with the XR but 400 I guess I would give the suzuki a try. One good thing is that I have never heard of a DRZ doing anything wrong. :)

B

biglou

Just my $.02

For what it's worth, I've ridden my DRZ, on average, once or twice a week for the last ten months just about as hard as I can. MX and woods. I've modified it, tweaked on it, maintained it well and just generally used the heck out of it. I have had no probs other than a leaking fork seal last summer, and that was covered under warranty, believe it or not. I haven't ridden an XR400 but I imagine that in stock form it is a little more tame. The DRZ is very ergonomically efficient, IMO, feeling much lighter and more nimble than its weight would indicate, with smooth, sneaky-fast power! Hope this helps.:)
BTW-I got it at the local Honda/Suzuki dealer. Wouldn't that make it easy for ya?! ;)

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
84XRGuy what are your thoughs and concerns about buying the bikes? What year are you looking into buying? What dealers are in your area? Perhaps if you answer these questions this would make your decision easier :)

84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
I'm looking to buy new 02 models if the price is right:D
My concerns are mainly the fact that I have never ridden either the DRZ 250 or the XR 250 and I don't buy bikes very often, my last one is an 1984, and I want to get the most for my money!
Plus it has to last!!!!
A member of my riding club has had his DRZ400 in for cam chain problems and he has had to replace the wheel berrings already too.
I would really like the EXC400 but the price of admission is way too high.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
wow, thanks for that review SMB! That really changes my mind about the Suzuki DRZ250's. I really like the way the bike looked and the fact that they were jumping it which is pretty uncommon of a tt-r 250 or a XR. Accually now I would try to find a DRZ250f and a KTM400MXC. I guess that would be my choice for the 400 and 250. XRGuy I sugguest that you read that review, It will provide some insite as to what bike to buy

Jeff Roberts

May 5, 2001
Honda vs Suzuki

I'll stick in my .02; I was looking for a new bike early spring and read and talked to anyone who knew anything about the drz400 including one of the mechanics at our local dealers who has two of his own. I am totally sold on the Suz. Come to find out, there aren't left in the Northeast (April 01) So I bought a 01 Kaw KDX 220. Its a great bike but I'll get the thumper in 02. My last bike was a 86 xr200 I don't think I'll ever get another Honda unless it's a two stroke. Jeff Roberts

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
Out of those two i would say the KLX 300. It is more powerful lighter better handling and i think it has better suspenders. I just got a 97 KLX 300 and i love it. I rode the other two bikes you listed and the KLX was much more nimble. Can't go wrong with less weight and more power:D

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
In the review I posted before they mentioned an upcoming extended review with mods but I have yet to see it, I emailed the editor about it so if I hear anything else I'll post it. But based on what I have seen of the DRZ-250 it looks like a fun little bike, the electric/backup kick is also a big selling point. From the Dirtbike magazine shootout of the bikes they said the DRZ was the best shifting out of the entire lot, but naturally picked the XR. If you look at all the advertising dollars thrown around nowadays you can't help but notice that Honda has thrown out the most money. Not saying that honda doesn't make an acceptable product but I just dislike them.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
I usually hear this of Yamaha and Motocross Action. I dont really think that honda throws down money to sell its XR line which is not their main seller.:think Just a thought but if they were going to throw down the big bucks you would think that it would be in Motocross action or in Dirt Rider so the effects of the money could be viewed by a bigger subscribing audience. Just somthing to think of.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Go Z

The DRZ250 is not a new bike, this is a proven model which has been around for a while. It also is oil cooled and has a fairly new generation engine. All in all this is a very good little bike. With the success of the DRZ400E, I think this bike is going to be a winner too.

Go get yourself that DRZ400 and your boy the 250, you are going to have a lot of fun.

I have the DRZ400S and love the bike.

DK

Feb 26, 2000
I've owned an XR400, currently have a DRZ400 (kick), YZ250f, XR250 and XR200. I think the XR250 is a great bike and ride it on the trails instead of my DRZ400 when the weather really turns nasty. Although I haven't ridden the DRZ 250 it's much heavier, something a 250 4stroke doesn't need. I have ridden the WR250f and although suspension and chassis are superior, the XR engine is better in the woods.

Top Bottom