krismoriah

Jul 3, 2003
I plan on buying a new bike in the next week or so.
I have narrowed down to the below:
1)Suzuki DRZ400- has e-start and seems to be a solid machine.. have read good things about it
2)KTM 300- If I go with a 2 stroke I think this is the bike I like.
3)KTM 450 I have read lots of good things about this bike.
4)Gas-Gas I know nothing about this bike, but there seems to be a general lust over it and I dont know why.

Bikes I dont want:
1)Yamaha WR or YZ bikes- too much tuning to do on them..
2)Honda XR400 outdated somewhat, no e-start
3)Kawasaki- I never liked Kawasakis..I know the KLX400 is the same as the DRZ, but I wont buy it.

I am 6' 220lbs 29 years old, and have about 20 years of riding time. I ride mostly on old coal roads and the new Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. I am not a racer, nor hillclimber, just like to get dirty and have fun.

It has taken me 3 weeks to narrow down this far, so please keep me on track with these models unless you have something really excellent to say about a particular bike.

My main interests are: a)Longevity of the bike b)Not getting tired of it, or wanting more power within 3 months c)Not a to of mods to do to get it trail-worthy.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
GG or KTM are the more "serious" bikes and require very little if any mod work to become a "ready" bike. The DRZ is more of play bike, while being a good bike(as most of the new bikes are!) would require more mods to get the bike ready. This is a situation of paying more and getting more.

It really comes down to what fits you best - there is no correct answer to your question. Go to the dealers and ride them and see how you feel about them as a dealer, this is a big deal.

I ride GG because it physically fits me, I like the handling in the trees and the dealer is the best in my 30 years of riding. I did however ride a new KTM 450 EXC 2 weeks ago and found it very nice - again go check the issues out for yourself because the fact is ALL are good reliable machines that will last for many of miles of riding!

krismoriah

Jul 3, 2003
I left out my dealer experiences in my post, not thinking..

1)KTM local dealer- To make a long story short- Here is the bikes that they have 98 300EXC, 99 300EXC, 99 450 98 400 and a 96 400.. these are just the ones I am interested in mind you.. they have a few other bikes that I didnt pay attention to.. These bikes all had dust on them, but were all new never sold. 2 of the bikes were on a display that no-body had ever asked to sit on...so it was an ordeal. I was the only customer there looking at the bikes and it was like pulling teeth to get the fatass salesman off of talking on the phone to even help me, when he did he forgot what I asked him twice and then he went back on the phone....needless to say I walked.

2)Honda/Yamaha dealer- good dealership that sells alot of product and has alot of bikes...but they had no WR450s and no CRF450s to sit on. The salesman told me to check back in a month or 2...I lost interest in them quick..they want to sell 4wheelers...not bikes.

I have decided to go on a road-trip to OH and KY and see what I can find out there.. I have bought all of my bikes out of state, and never went back to any dealer regardless of problems...I have a good friend who is a great mechanic so I am saved there.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
That's unfortunate - they must be wealthy to pass on a sale!! I would never buy anything from that type(s) of dealer. They probably don't know anything :uh: !

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
krismoriah,

Hate to hear things like that about dealers. Seems what you describe has been my experience with the blue machine dealers. I now have a 98 KTM 300 EXC. I am a hare scramble and enduro racer. I still love just trail riding and hill climbing too. I am 6' 1" and 215 lb. I will assure you of one thing. You WILL NOT run out of power on the 300 exc. It is probably the most versitle bike that I have ever ridden. The torque down low is phenominal and a throttle flick delivers all the 2 stroke pop anyone could ask for. You can lug it along like a 4 stroke on hills and such or wrap it out like the 2 stroke woods bike that it is. The gear ratios are pretty wide so it doesn't act like an MX'er. Just a really good all around woods bike. Were I trying to decide between the bikes you have listed the decision would be easy for me.

Dan

Top Bottom