pkley

Jul 9, 2001
Love the bike, but one complaint. There is NO case protection! And as I just found out, it is outrageously expensive to replace a case cover. Day one of my ride (in the middle of nowhere...) highside layover and cut the radiator hose at the nipple. Taped until back to camp, cut and reclamped. No problem. Day 2, having a blast in a semiflooded meadow, hit a log on a slight diagonal, 2nd gear (YES I know better!) took the bike out from under me, flew about 20', came up ok, but bike found a lovely rock, took a chunk out of the clutch cover. Can we say, end of riding for that trip? Got back to town a few days later and called my shop for a new cover. "You have to purchase both sides at the same time, and it'll be about $500!" What!!!! $500!!! Ah the wonders of lightweight magnesium! So now, I have to find an aluminum one, since there is no way I'm shelling out $500 on a brand new bike (150mi). My real question is, why is there no protection for such a vulnerable spot? Especially when a replacement is outrageously expensive? So learn from me and buy a skid plate NOW!

P.S. if anyone knows where I can buy a replacement for under $500 I would greatly appreciate it...

Peter

Dave'sDRZ

Mar 28, 2000
I have no idea why you'd have to replace both sides if you only broke one. There is a guy out there that machines case covers out of aluminum-I've looked and looked and can't find where I wrote down his address-maybe someone else can help. If it is just a hole, you can probably find someone to weld it for you. I have also used plumbers epoxy with great sucess to repair holes in covers/cases-it's like J&B weld only in a clay like form-this makes it easier to form over holes. Make sure there is no oil where you want it to adhere-might be a good idea to remove the cover and spray it with brake or carb cleaner, then rough up the area around the hole with 60-80 grit sand paper. If you wet your finger, you can make the patch real smooth for painting later. Baja designs has a good skid plate with extra protection for the ignition cover.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
pkley. A good heli arc welder should be able to weld your case. If you cant find one in your area, PM me.

pkley

Jul 9, 2001
oops

Well I didn't quite describe the part adequately and the parts guy quoted me for a whole new case, not just my clutch cover which is only about $100. Which came as quite a nice relief after my previous heart attack! I thought about JB welding it, but it is over 1 1/2" in diameter, jagged, and also has a few lovely cracks emminating from it. I was going fairly wide out in second when we went our separate ways and it kissed up to a rock.
Still think they should provide factory protection...

Dave'sDRZ

Mar 28, 2000
Eline has some carbon fiber protection for the covers on this bike-I think they stick on. Pull your shifter off and grind the sharp edge off of the back-this is another common cause of puncture. When you pull the old one off, epoxy a piece of aluminum over the hole and reinforce the cracks with epoxy. You might not trust it for every day, but it might save a ride in the future.:D

PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
CNC aluminum clutch cover

There was a guy on the DRZ section of Thumper Talk that said he made a bunch of these covers. He might have or make more, his E-mail is: tom@schwahntoolandplastic.com

I have the Baja Designs plate and automotive rad hose wrapped around my hoses and haven't had any trouble, but I was concerned as this is my first water cooled bike.
Good Luck

VIRGINIAXR

Jun 27, 2000
Just wanted to add my sentiments. A riding buddy and myself were exploring new trails and were about 14 miles from the vehicles when he jumped a small water bar. Came down and tipped the bike over on a rock, not even that hard, and the gooseneck on the side of the case where the coolant goes in busted to pieces. We were beginning to push the bike back and it immediately started pouring down raining. I headed back to get a tow strap and he decided the h#@! with this and rode it back. He now has a skidplate as well.

Another guy on an XR600 apparently landed on a rock while jumping water bars and busted his case as well. Didn't even know it until we stopped and he had oil all over his boot. Luckily when we stopped we were at the vehicles and it appeared that it just happened. Cost him about $100.

Top Bottom