oticoyote

Sep 28, 2003
I've was planning to buy a WR450F and was getting prices when I got a chance to buy a new 2003 DRZ400E for $6000, which is an excellent price for my area (Canadian dollars). The WR450 is selling for $7300, which is also a pretty good price for here. I'm looking for a bike that has plenty of power and can be ridden aggressively but not raced. I ride rocky trails, mostly 2nd or 3rd gear, with occasional short 4th or 5th gear roads. I no beginner but I'm no pro either. I like the WR better, but is it worth the extra dollars.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I own the KLX/DRZ400 my brother has the WR450. The WR has a ton more power than the DRZ and is more geared toward racing then the DRZ. All the reviews I have read on the DRZ say it is a great trail bike not a first choice for racing. They dislike the extra weight from the electric start.
That being said I race it. This is my first year riding/racing dirt bikes and now that I am getting better I am looking for more power. It's a little heavy for racing but if you're sure you're not going to race the DRZ is a great bike and it handles great in the rocks. The WR suspension has to be adjusted for the rocks it's way too stiff.
If you want more power the WR is the way to go. If you want a good trail bike for just riding the DRZ is great.

kc-husky

~SPONSOR~
Dec 31, 2000
CRSwade has a great 03 WR450 For Sale in the bikes for sale forum. Just did a bunch of fine tuning on it and it runs great and has very low hours on it. And it looks brand new. Might be worth looking at even with shipping you would save big bucks. :thumb:

oticoyote

Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by gxdragon
The WR suspension has to be adjusted for the rocks it's way too stiff.

When you say the adjusted, do you mean just properly setting up the stock suspension, or do you mean modifying it. I'm not much interested in spending much more money modifying whichever bike I buy.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Adjust the stock settings. My brother raced his in a mountain run and got bounced over the bars a couple times. He was told by another guy with the 450 to set the stock to its softest settings for the rocks. I know he softened it up but I'm not sure if he went to the softest settings or not I haven't asked.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
For the type of riding you describe the DRZ is good to go right out of the crate. The DRZ may not be built for racing but I've seen some guys go pretty fast on them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom