BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
Hi everyone,

I'm new, and I'm buying my first bike. I want a dual sport, and I want it to be street legal. So, I've narrowed it down to the following choices:
DRZ 400S
XR400
XR650R
I realize the two Hondas are not street legal, I would buy a Baja Designs dual sport kit for them. So, which one do you all suggest? I always here about Honda reliability, do Suzukis have a good or bad reputation? All in all I like the XR650R the most, and I know how I am and eventually I'll want the most powerful bike available. I like the DRZ also, but it's heavier than the 650 and only a 400. I do like that it will already be street legal though, so I won't have to mess with a conversion kit. And it has a pretty sweet speedometer set up, which would be nice for highway riding. Any opinions or info on any of these 3 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Ben

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
My vote is for a dirt DRZ E with a Baja designs or similar kit. The reason is the electric start and lighter weight. Nothing like stalling in traffic and having to kick start a bike.

BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
Thanks for the post. That brings me to another question, I know the compression is higher in the DRZ 400E versus DRZ 400S, but what kind of performance difference does that make? Is the E much better? I just dread doing the whole conversion, and worse yet fighting with California DMV to get this bike retitled as street legal. Thanks again,
Ben

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
I have the DRZ E and my riding partner has the "S". There is a very noticable difference in power.

I registered and plated my E with no trouble at all through Vermont even though I do not live in that state.

I've also got seat time on the XRs. The XR650R would be a way cool to dual sport. Its a beast and it rips. But thats out in the open, get it on a tight trails and all that power becomes a liability. And it "feels" much heavier than it actually is. In the woods I'm _much_ faster on my DRZ

As far as the XR400, very capable with lots of aftermarket parts. If I rode a lot in really hard core rocky areas, it would be my pick due to the absence of radiators to destroy.

But for where I ride and how I like to ride, the DRZ400E is more than powerful enough and handles pretty decent. Plus, with the electric start, already having the battery it makes it soooooo simple to add a dual sport kit to.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
I understand that drz e bikes are a red sticker bike in cali.... so you wont be able to convert to street legal. But you might ask drz owners in cali that Q.

skinn

May 17, 2002
ammomac, how do you go about registering in Vermont, I live in NY and from what I here it can be a real bi**h to register a converted bike here. Also how are the electric start kits for the XR 400. I really like the bike but for street riding electric start would be nice. I would probably use this bike to take the place of my street bike for short errands around town, It would be much easier to get around on, as well as spirited trail rides.

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
You are much better off gettin the Zook 400E and converting it. Back when my bike (DRZ400E) was pure stock, long time ago, I rode a buddies "S" version stock as well, it seemed a lot less powerfull, not as snappy and very heavy. It has about 5-6 less hp than the E and kicker.
If this is you're first bike, keep the E un-modded except for street legal necessities, and upgrade it as you get better. I.E. pipe, jetting, needles, etc.
And there are alot of other differences between the E and S. S has lower comp (via thicker base gasket), smaller carb (36 vs. 39), doesn't have a pumper, much longer gearing... it goes on forever.

Here is a helpful link to a comparison webpage-http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/merlinbooks/drzspec.html
Pay no attention to the hp ratings- here's the real numbers:
38-39 hp rear wheel for Kicker/E-start (100% stock)
33-34 hp rear wheel for Street version (100% stock)
If you ever get a DRZ, email me at MttGrmn@aol.com for some killer upgrades that are cheap or free of cost! (My best mod costs 15 bucks, I got the parts for free!)

Good luck! :)

Top Bottom