DT175 neutral/stall problem when hot.

imorf

Oct 15, 2006
Hi all,
I recently purchased 2nd hand a 2002 Yamaha DT175 in excellent condition (garaged, serviced) that had done only 3800 kms and all factory restrictions remain. The trip home was long (over 100km) and on a warm day. As the trip wore on I discovered that neutral was almost impossible to find, and also the bike was stalling after idling for a short time (>10 secs?) at traffic lights (I was holding in the clutch in first not being able to get neutral). Next day I upped the idle speed to 1400-1450ish and both neutral and idling stalls issues "seemed" fixed. Since then I only use the bike for 10km commutes in the morning and evening and it has been problem free.
However this weekend I took it out on a stinking hot afternoon (37@ C) and after about 10 minutes discovered the bike was again almost impossible to find neutral, and when in gear with clutch disengaged at stop signs the engine rpm would slowly drop until the engine stalled. When I could find neutral, the engine idled as per normal, stalling only occuring after first gear was engaged and rvpm would slowly decline again, so to keep it running had to rev slightly. The transmission fluid is Castrol MTX Gear oil 75W/80 which according to their spec sheet matches the SAE 10W/30 that the owners manual specifies. Transmission fluid level looks fine. This morning's short and cooler weather commute there was no neutral/stalling problem.
Hoping someone can shed some insight into the problem?

Top Bottom