dual sport 03 kdx200 in MA

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
Can i dual sport my kdx 200 in mass? Do i need to do any thing special other than buying the kit with the bilinkers and new head light units, from baja designs for 420 bucks? I was reading some where that you need a battery in some states to dual sport your bike is that true? Thanks

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
You will have to check with your DMV to find out what is required. Many folks that live in states that prohibit conversion - or make it difficult to do so just go with a tag from vermont. They do it 100% via the mail and youa re legit as you can get.

There are lots of threads ont he Vermont conversion.

sn

gvilleant

Mar 12, 2004
I got mine plated in vermont. I had to tell them I modified it to a 300cc. they only plate 300cc or bigger bikes, I went to bennington with the bike & walked away with a plate after they checked the VIN. As far as inspection you need the kit with the battery. the lights must remain lit for 15 mins after the bike is off. I'm waiting for a dakar kit. Its on backorder but also comes with a key so no one can steal it.

SGM

Mar 24, 2004
your bike can be registered at less then 300cc, i have done mine you just do not get a title for it. just a plate, reg, and sticker. in MA you also need insurance on any vehicle using the public roads.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
since it will cost you about 1000 bux to hit the streets, would you be any better off trading it in on a drz400s? i would check with your inspection sticker place first also to make sure they will give you one. i check insurance on a drzs and they said for a good policy it woudl be about 175 every six months. and tag was about 175 also.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Price is all relative to where you register it. I spent a total of $50 to register mine. Insurance is $120 a year. Mine is also 100% legit.

Vermont is aVERY good option if you are faced with an expensive conversion. I think most guys here looking at the Vermont option are klooking to get a plate to occasionally hop on a gravel road or ride open course events. i doubt alot of us are logging much pavement time.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
My Alabama tag for my KDX is about $30 a year. Once I got the title, the plate was a piece of cake. You just have to find the right people to deal with.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep..each state is different.

Orygun for example. You cannot license the kdx because it is not listed in their 'legal' vehicle list...and an inspection of the bike at registration time would show the mfg sticker that says 'Not for highway use.'

Your stuck.

BUT...go the vermont route. Get a tag from them, take it to the Orygun DMV counter and they will transfer the thing no problem.

Still need streetable stuff. If you happen to get stopped and don't have DOT tires (and flashers and whatever else your state requires) you may well get a ticket.

Check your state's regs to be sure. Keep in mind the above...that a transfer may be possible when an original licensing is not.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Hmmmmm..... I LIKE my knobbies! I don't want them spread out all over the roads. Licensing a KDX is fruitless if you ask me but I know that in other areas it may work out OK. Trail are too few and far between here that the trade off between traction, low gearing and wear and tear or being able to ride on the road would be too great. I think a better dual sport bike would be in order also. DRZ's are pretty sweet... almost bought one but the thought hard as to what I wanted to do. All the extra weight and lack of traction was too much of a sacrifice for me and decided it was dirt only. It would do you good to seriously consider these points and I wish you luck with your decision. :)

dirtdevil

Jan 4, 2002
SGM said:
your bike can be registered at less then 300cc, i have done mine you just do not get a title for it. just a plate, reg, and sticker. in MA you also need insurance on any vehicle using the public roads.
SGM
I am in the process of registering my kdx in vermont were did you you get the insurance in vermont or massachusetts?

Thanks
dirtdevil

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…